hugh,s fish fight

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

the way i see it is that trawling is going to continue regardless and i dont see that in itself as a problem. the way the industry works and is regulated is the problem.

at the end of the day, less trips out to trawl with all fish landed plus a broader use of more species. equals less damage, less waste and more sustainability

graham

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Saw this evening's programme - lots of talk about stopping discards but nothing on how overfishing will be stopped. Then after, Jamie Oliver wittering on about eating dabs on the grounds that loads are discarded by trawlers. Wasteful, yes, but eating them won't prevent overfishing; on the contrary the situation will get worse if no way is found to limit catches.

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:Saw this evening's programme - lots of talk about stopping discards but nothing on how overfishing will be stopped. Then after, Jamie Oliver wittering on about eating dabs on the grounds that loads are discarded by trawlers. Wasteful, yes, but eating them won't prevent overfishing; on the contrary the situation will get worse if no way is found to limit catches.
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY
THE POOR OLD MAKKIES DAYS ARE NUMBERED IF THEY GET THEIR WAY

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

aston74 wrote: THE POOR OLD MAKKIES DAYS ARE NUMBERED IF THEY GET THEIR WAY
This is the problem, we move from one fish to another. Lets all eat pout :D

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:Saw this evening's programme - lots of talk about stopping discards but nothing on how overfishing will be stopped.

cutting down on / stoping discard =less trips for the trawlers = less fishing theres your answer
steve

Then after, Jamie Oliver wittering on about eating dabs on the grounds that loads are discarded by trawlers. Wasteful, yes, but eating them won't prevent overfishing; on the contrary the situation will get worse if no way is found to limit catches.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Not the answer I'm afraid Steve. Trawler skippers are businessmen. They have huge mortgages on their boats. They will catch as much as possible to make as much money as possible - that is the goal of a business. Environmental considerations are always secondary. Without regulations they wil carry on regardless, reasoning that if they don't take them someone else will. This is why fish stocks are severely depleted.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

I AGREE THAT ITS NOT THE TOTAL ANSWER IKAGP BUT IF THEY HAD A TOTAL QUOTER RATHER THAN A SPEICES QOUTER THEN THEY WOULDENT HAVE TO CHUCK GOOD LANDERBLE FISH BACK GOING PART WAY TO HELPING THE PROBLEM IS WHAT I MEAN
STEVE

mikee

Post by mikee »

I lived in hastings for a while running bars there. Got to know a few of the characters in the old town where the fishing boats go from, got to know sunny who was on Hughs prog. the problem for those guys is the fact that our govt bow down to EU regs where as french and spanish fishermen and govts wont! so while our boys are sticking to the rules and our own waters we have every other skipper comin in takin what they want and sellin as much as they catch!! If we could keep those slippery cowboys out and if our boats could fish the way they used to they wouldnt have the waste, they could make money to support there families etc, fish stocks would be more sustainable and us guys on the beach would see more fish (over time obviously!).... so what im tryin to say i suppose is if we support those on the boats, we in turn will see a better sport for generations to come..... if we sit back and do nothing, our sport will be the first to suffer!!!!
would urge anyone to sign up for the pettition google 'HUGHSFISHFIGHT'......
It dosent just affect them but us and future generations enjoyment and pleasure of the sport!!!

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

well said mikee
steve

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

mikee

Perhaps you would like to point us to the evidence, or is this just the locals sounding off, looking for someone else to blame? Xenophobia always pops up where Europe is concerned, but that won't solve the problems.

mikee

Post by mikee »

re: iknowagoodplaice
ok i may have been a bit harsh on my wording... but the evidence is there not a case of locals sounding off, if you can refer to the fishing emborgoes in the early years of the catch restrictions that were put on fleets, the spanish and french were (and still today) run out of our waters, plus the fact that theyre restrictions were commonly ignored hence the marches on no.10 at the same time. But we were the ones that rolled over and took it on the chin and still to this day stick to those rules and regs. But the point isnt the fact of who is doing what to whom or where, the fact is that if we dont stand up forthe fleet fishing economy, or our own sport we will soon not have the fish in the sea for our or generations to comewe need to work together to make a difference for the sport as well as our own fishing industry. Im not saying let them loose on the water to totally over fish, but at least lets work to a common resolve instead of sitting back and doin nothing..... How would we feel if our childrens children could not pick up a rod and reel and experience the rush of catching there first cod/bass etcetc just because we didnt stand up for something we believe in???
please no offence intended to anyone.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

I do agree that the quota policy does not work well, and, yes, I understand the Spanish Govt are very poor at enforcing the rules (not sure about the French). This is a serious problem on top of the failings in the system even if working as it should.

But some quota system is essential, and it would seem we need some kind of central EU enforcement if member states won't do their bit. It is a disaster really. We should all do what we can to protect our seas. Perhaps now is the time to write to MPs while this subject is on TV. And stump up a few quid to the Angling Trust with an expectation they lobby on our behalf.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

well said rw it docent matter who fronts the campain .like them or hate them if they have a higher anough profile and get into places that joe public cant them for christ sack lets back them and not run them down cos we might not like the proggammes of the way they cook etc
steve

DirtySanchez

Post by DirtySanchez »

you not had such a repy since wd 40 your on a par. massive B-) :x