hugh,s fish fight

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I knew fish were discarded as filled-quota by-catch, but I was surprised at the scale of it. Clearly the present quota system has a serious problem and a better method of conserving fish stocks is needed.

At the same time I find it a little ironic that these foody chefs, who encourage consumption of more species of fish, are campaigning on this topic. Yes, too many cod, haddock, etc are consumed, but I don't see how turning the attention to mackerel, dabs and other less popular food species will improve things. Mackerel haven't been abundant these last two years. Fish farming is no solution either: feed is made from small species like sandeels, which feed the bigger fish.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if this celeb-chef campaign has any impact, but it's better than nothing.

Snagger

fishing

Post by Snagger »

Hi All,

if you look into our trawler fishing history you will find that back in the 1970's

our government gave in to Iceland, even though they were braking

European legislation, and we stopped fishing in there waters, Brussels did

nothing, if we were to patrol an exclusion zone around our islands we would

be hung, drawn and quartered by Brussels.

What a joke, we need to get out of Europe, boost our Royal Navy, instead of

destroying it, and stand up for ourselves instead of berrying our head in

the sand of our fish-less beaches. X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(

Tim B-)

dontcatchmuch

Re: fishing

Post by dontcatchmuch »

Snagger wrote:Hi All,

if you look into our trawler fishing history you will find that back in the 1970's

our government gave in to Iceland, even though they were braking

European legislation, and we stopped fishing in there waters, Brussels did

nothing, if we were to patrol an exclusion zone around our islands we would

be hung, drawn and quartered by Brussels.

What a joke, we need to get out of Europe, boost our Royal Navy, instead of

destroying it, and stand up for ourselves instead of berrying our head in

the sand of our fish-less beaches. X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(

Tim B-)
stand up to them not only on the fishing tim bloody well everyting . we get pooped on from a great hight by the rest of the world over .nearly every one of our so called moderm day goverments have been whimps .kick them all out and rule ourselves it couldent be any worst .rant over
steve

fishingnuts95
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishingnuts95 »

i have just finished watching it and i am really shocked at what actually is thrown back over board! i have watched trawlermen and trawlers war and you never see the scale of what is actually thrown back. hopefully this does have some impact as im only 15 and in 50-60 years i still want to be fishing from the beaches and boats as much as i do enjoy coarse fishing that it not the only thing i want to be fishing for when i am older.
thanks
fishingnuts95

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Yes ............!!!!!!!!!! our Ancestors are rolling / turning in their graves, they kept Napoleon out................der Kaiser out..................Herr Hitler out and now our generation have 'rolled over' and given our heritage away, we are historically a sea-faring race now without a Navy!!!!!!!!!.

JOLI............ #:-S ~X(

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff »

Hi all,

This is all just typical of the mess we have got ourselves into since we joined Europe. Most of the other European members will sign up to ludicrous laws and rules - AND THEN JUST IGNORE THEM AND DO WHAT THEY WANT. The British, being by nature a very disciplined people, always try to keep to the rules, regardless of how stupid they are (witness how we queue and the Europeans do not!).

Sadly, I suspect that it is too late for us to just back out of our membership - too many of our old markets (Canada, India etc.) have virtually been lost, and we are now dependant on trade with other EEC countries.

However, I think it is only a matter of time before the common Euro currency collapses (thank God we didn't sign up to that!) and, hopefully, that will soon lead to the dissolution of the EEC. Once this has happened we may see some sanity returned to the Fishing Industry. I live in hope!

Cheers, Geoff :-S :-S :-S

fishingnuts95
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishingnuts95 »

i agree also that being part of the Europe has not helped at all as for instance when you watch programmes such sea patrol uk 9 out of 10 boats the fishery protection people board are of european disscent and cant speak a word of english. when fishing out on the south coast you see the french trawlers with in only a couple of miles of our coast. it is wrong and agree with every1 something should be done to protect our waters from them.
thanks
fishingnuts95

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

i hope everyone who is in agreement that this is all wrong, is signing the petition and becoming part of this campaign. itay be that this does not have an impact. but its best we join forces and try

graham

Snagger

fishing

Post by Snagger »

Well said Graham,

All we need now is someone to take up the mantle, get things organised and

take it to number 10.

The Express has already done this regarding getting out of Europe so thats

a start.

Tim B-)

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

There is little point in blaming the EU for the fundamental problem, which is pressure of the human population and the lack of regard for environmental protection in many quarters. Don't forget that overfishing is a worldwide problem. The bluefin tuna, for instance, is threatened with extinction.

Some of the biggest objectors to quotas have been the commercial fishermen themselves, especially the large ships that are such efficient fish-catchers. I imagine whatever quota system is proposed to replace the current (assuming this happens) there will continue to be objections from vested interests. So we may end up with an equally unsatisfactory situation, in which fish stocks continue their long term decline.

What bothers me about this campaign is that the chefs are also vested interests. I am not sure that persuading people to eat other species is the answer. We may just end up with greater depletion of these. In fact this will happen anyway: once cod are wiped out, other species will then be fished pursued till the same thing happens to them.

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

i would say that the issue is not so much to do with changing our eating habbits to other fish, though it would not be a bad idea to broaden our horizons. More to do with bing more efficient and therefoe by defaualt more economic with what is caught and used.

I fish for both the sport and the table, as many of us do.

if i am out to target pollack and i catch an onsize flounder, (which is not one of my faves to eat) and that fish were to die before i was able to return it to the water. i would not waste it, i would still take it home to eat.
if i catch more than i want for the table (not that that is happening at the moment), then it goes back.

i dont see why this principle cannot be scaled up to cover the trawling industry.

graham

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

the way i see things is it dosent matter wether you take or kill whilst useing a rod and line an under size fish or wether it a trawler haveing to chuck back perfectly good fish just cos they have caought the quoter for that species its wrong and is all depleteing fish stocks for no reason at all.
it is not the trawlewr men that are the problem im sure most would rather catch a total wight quoter rather than a species quoter and through halve there catch back most of the time ,spend money for nothing .basicly killing twice the amount of fish needed to earn a liveing
steve

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

I don't think one can compare angling and trawling because of the difference in scale. A few angling casualties are miniscule compared to commercial discards (though of course we should not be wasteful ourselves as a matter of principle).

I found this document on sea fish quotas
http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/busin ... B09-74.pdf

Reading this shows that Hugh and fellow chefs are already out of date. Policies to avoid discards are already being implemented. Interesting to note that one source of discards is high-grading - throwing back small fish when bigger are caught. That has nothing to do with quotas. Also notable that whiting, herring and haddock are not doing well, with mackerel beginning to look at risk of going the same way.

I'm afraid that trawlermen do have to take their share of the blame, aided and abetted by the market for fish of course. Their object is to catch as many fish as possible (within the regs) and I doubt they fret too much about environmental issues (beam trawls and damaged sea bed, etc). The document makes that point actually.[/url]

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

i understand where your comeing from ikagp .but i would think that if most trawler skipper had total quoter rather than a species quoter they would be happy to land what ever they catch rather than spend more time and money at sea .ie lets say one trawl nets 2 ton of fish 1 ton cod +1 ton mixed all aloud to be landed ,there total quoter is 20 ton thats =10 trawls .
if they have already landed there quoter of cod then 1 ton = waste x 10 trawls = 10 ton waste +10 x damage to sea bed +extra fuel cost etc .now i know im not a trawler skipper but im sure most dont what to rip up the sea bed and kill fish and stay out at sea for the sake of it risking there lives and wouldent care what species of fish they catch aslong as they can make a liveing .al meaning less damage in all areas
steve
ps i would like to hear a trawlermans / skippers view please

Snagger

fishing

Post by Snagger »

I am with you on that one Steve,

Tim B-)