Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

lurcherman
Regular
Regular

hugh,s fish fight

Post by lurcherman »

hi
i wonder how many of us are watching hugh,s fish fight watching these once in a lifetime size cod etc going back over the side of the trawlers and seemingly doing little for conservation,makes you think.
glyn

Jebend

Post by Jebend »

I know its discusting, cant believe the waste, imagine how much is wasted every year from every single boat in the uk, such a shame, and as for the supposed minister unable to name any fish, just shows how brilliantly this country is run.

Jebend

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

i think its disgusting....

if the quotas were on a time basis, ie you can go out for 'x' days per year and land everything you catch, then there would be no need to waste all that decent fish. it would make the fishing far more sustainable..

i've joined his cause ad siged the petition.

if anyone is not aware of this or wants to add thier agreement/signature heres the link

http://dev.fishfight.net/

graham

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

Post by smallfry »

Totally agree it's gutting and frustrating at the same time
We're regulated on size but they can catch, kill and throw
Back dead anything what is caught in the nets. We're scratching our head wondering where the fish are and they're thowing it back dead! It's so soul distroying.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

For anyone that hasnt watched it heres the link to watch it online http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hugh ... od#3152474

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

smallfry wrote:Totally agree it's gutting and frustrating at the same time
We're regulated on size but they can catch, kill and throw
Back dead anything what is caught in the nets. We're scratching our head wondering where the fish are and they're thowing it back dead! It's so soul distroying.
thats not strictly true. the trawlers are regulated by the amount of each species they can catch in a year. because of that, once a quota is reached, if they inadvertantly catch any more of that fish, which will happen regularly, as shown on the programme, the extra has to go into the sea.

this is sort of the way we are regulated, just on a far larger scale. if we go for cod, then catch 4 undersize fish, they have to go back alive or dead. only difference is that most of ours go back alive, but this is only because we are catching on a far saller scale.

if the trawermen were regulated on the time they were alowed out and to land anything they catch, there would be no waste, and it would be far better for the stocks and the industry and jobs of people in the industry

graham

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

but if they break the rules, they then look at the risk of punishent.. in what form i dont know.. invoked liscences i presume

graham

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

but if they break the rules, they then look at the risk of punishent.. in what form i dont know.. invoked liscences i presume

graham

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Like the skippers said. Give them less fishing days but unlimited quota or raise the quota. Im only quoting what was said, the pros and cons can be discussed ;)

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver »

huge fines normally ,wich does not make it viable for the skippers to take the chance,there was a skipper on the tv show trawlermen and he was fined over 150,000, so him and his son remortgaged their properties to make the fine payments thus leading them to time in jail for some reason.
they should ban all the other countries from fishing in our waters for starters,then allocate the uk boats x ammount of days at see with no quota just let them land what they catch,after all its dead anyway so what good does dumping it do to our fish stocks.
whitby.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

WIGHTFISH
Regular
Regular

Post by WIGHTFISH »

Am watching it, am disgusted, have signed up.

storm1fishing
Occasional
Occasional

Post by storm1fishing »

I find this disgracefull as well.
I was watching a program a while ago about how some of the local fishing fleets had to downsize.Families that had been fishing for generations were forced to sell their trawlers as scrap metal , meanwhile the european union were giving the spanish grants to build new trawlers. These are the same trawlers that you occasionally find fishing in english waters.

the world has gone crazy

tight lines :((

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

NORWAY DONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM
they have a 200 mile exclusion zone around their fisheries
plus they aint in the EURO-ZONE
they aint daft them norweigans

its not our trawlermen that are the problem, its the foreign factory ships

i saw 1 episode of trawlermen where a uk factory ship sucked up 500 tons of makkie in 1 go

if anyone does break the law regarding fishing, the fisheries police should do the same as what the regular cops do when someone drives illegally

CRUSH THEIR BOATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!