Moderator: Admin

kevmann
Occasional
Occasional

Reel advice/suggestions please

Post by kevmann »

Happy new year to all.

Now down to business.

1)I'm looking to invest (?) in a couple of new reels in the not too distant future.
I'm looking at fixed spool only, as I have never been able to cope with multipliers! :-O :-O
My budget is between 50 - 100 per reel. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Would even consider 2nd hand if anyone has any out there they no longer require.

2) I've got this idea in my head that a fair few years ago, there was line that was different colours. This was, I think, to give you some idea of how far you were casting. ie. red = 40 yards, blue = 50 yards etc.

Was I imagining this or did this line exist?
If it did exist, does anybody know if this line is still available?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Kev

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Can't go wrong with Daiwa in my experience but make sure that whatever you get has a reasonably deep skirt to the spool. Quite a few reels don't have this and it's all too easy for the line to get trapped underneath with resulting crack offs especially at night when you generally don't notice in the dark.

Jebend

Post by Jebend »

eccles wrote:Can't go wrong with Daiwa in my experience but make sure that whatever you get has a reasonably deep skirt to the spool. Quite a few reels don't have this and it's all too easy for the line to get trapped underneath with resulting crack offs especially at night when you generally don't notice in the dark.
I found that out the other day when i was fishing in the dark and my reel just became stiffer and stiffer, soon worked out what it was, but a complete pain in the ass trying to get it out!

Jebend

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle »

You won't go too far wrong with either Daiwa or Shimano .......... my personal prefernce is Daiwa (either the Emcast Evo / Sport or the Windcasts).

Cheers,

Dave

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Jebend wrote:
eccles wrote:Can't go wrong with Daiwa in my experience but make sure that whatever you get has a reasonably deep skirt to the spool. Quite a few reels don't have this and it's all too easy for the line to get trapped underneath with resulting crack offs especially at night when you generally don't notice in the dark.
I found that out the other day when i was fishing in the dark and my reel just became stiffer and stiffer, soon worked out what it was, but a complete pain in the ass trying to get it out!

Jebend
Actually some quite expensive models can suffer from this which is a design fault IMO

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle »

That is very true ........ I think my Evos are "above" this - but my mate still seems to achieve it every session !!. If you keep a tight line after casting alot of these issues never happen.

Cheers,

Dave

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

If this happens then the simple soloution is to clicl ovr the bale arm, remove the spool, undo the tangle and then replace the spool.
Cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Can't agree with that RW, I know a number of folk who have had this problem, usually on a dark night when it's not so easy to see what one is doing. I mean it's alright for the experts but many of us are not and just want a trouble free session. That's why I am offering this advice.

Jebend

Post by Jebend »

eccles wrote:Can't agree with that RW, I know a number of folk who have had this problem, usually on a dark night when it's not so easy to see what one is doing. I mean it's alright for the experts but many of us are not and just want a trouble free session. That's why I am offering this advice.

I was fishing in the pitch black, with a really strong wind, hard to sort it out when you only got a dieing lamp for light! but having the choice i would have looked for a bigger skirt on it!

Jebend

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

reel_wizard wrote:Very much like a multiplier .. once you get accustomed to it you get the feel of doing things without even being able to see. You drive your car in the dark with just quick glances at the controls to press switches and you generally use your indicators without even having to take your eyes off the road .... I find it strange that people struggle to do the same with their fishing gear.

You will only get line behind the spool if you have coils coming backwards off the spool in the opposite direction to that intended ... the obvious cure is to prevent it happening and the way to do that is how I explained. I regularly use vintage fixed spools such as a Mitchell 300, a (very ratty) ABU Cardinal and my favourite an Allcocks Delmatic from the 50s. All have shallow unskirted spools and when I'm spinning or float fishing with them I must do god knows how many casts in a session ... but unless I get lazy I just don't get problems with line behind the spool and its a simple matter of lifting the rod top as you engage the bale arm that prevents the problem - it simply ensures that line is moving off the front of the spool as the bale arm goes over. It really is that simple!
Which Cardinal do you have RW? :) :)

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

reel_wizard wrote:A 44 if I remember rightly ... the writing has all gone as has most of the paint. Too small for anything heavy but I use it for spinning / floating for Mullet. I also have a 55 which has a skirt and is more useful for general spinning.
Am I right in thinking the 44 has a blue body/light colour front end? I had one in the past-good basic little reel with a stern drag knob.The 55 was at the more expensive end of the range was it not? nearly bought one years ago but decided to go for the Mitchell Match with the auto bail arm instead. :) :) :)