COD

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

dontcatchmuch

COD

Post by dontcatchmuch »

now before you all bite my head of of cause i would love to catch a nice big cod .and yes i do know there the main winter species .but are they really the be all and end all of winter fishing as so many of you seem so disapointed at not catching one when you go . i dont want this to become a rant and rave at each other .just why you personaly regaurd the cod so highly
steve

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

For me, its the most edible fish, and the hardest to catch. its the only fish i would keep if i caught a nice size one. Fish butties. ;)

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

it the only fish in the winter to fight bk i perfer the bass in the summer

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter »

because cod fishing up our way (when you can get out) is great fun.
The howling winds blowing you of the mark, the freezing temperatures busting your nuts, the expectations of catching a lunker and the massive swells in an onshore blow and massive baits more suited to a dinner plate being flung out on a 7 oz gripper all add to the excitement of cod fishing even if you dont catch one.
But thats just me

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter »

Flattie bashing is just as much fun though

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

some good answers guys thank you .pritty much stright forward but i just was interested to know so anyone else got any different reasons
steve

hatter
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hatter »

perhaps taking some light gear and you may get a good fight from many fish. i think because we all fish for the mighty cod our gear dosnt give any othe speicies a chance.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

a very good point hatter
steve

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter »

I agree a good point Hatter.
It depends on where you are fishing as i use heavy stiff rods from the rocks but always lighter gear from the beaches even if it is for cod.