Beach with a longline

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Jebend

Beach with a longline

Post by Jebend »

Hello!

I was speaking to some bloke today who said about beach fishing, he said its possible to get a longline and put a heavy weight on the end, bait up all the hooks (circle hooks), then lay it down when the tide goes out, fish normally with your rods etc, then after a couple of hours when the tide has turned drag it in and see whats on the hooks!

Anyone ever tried this before? and whats everyone opions on this.

Jebend

fishingnuts95
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishingnuts95 »

hi jebend cant see why it wouldnt work but obviously once you bring it in unless you are doing a very long session you wont be able to get it back out again. i reckon its quite a good idea and by using circle hooks as well its less damaging to the fish!
thanks
fishingnuts95

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff »

Hi Jebend,

Trouble is, it is not angling is it? My father used to do it occasionally in the 1950's, but there were a lot more fish around then and we were not as aware of conservation issues as we are now. This kind of fishing is not selective and a fair proportion of your catch might well be undersized and dead. If you don't get to the long line in time, the seagulls will be the ones to benefit (providing they don't hook themselves!)- you will need to follow the tide out. Personally I wouldn't do it unless I had to do it to feed my family. Much better with a rod in your hand! But, each to his own.

Cheers, Geoff

Jebend

Post by Jebend »

Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah i know i wasnt really interested in doing it as i don't fish for a living just fishing to one day catch the big 100lb fish! just was seeing what everyone thought and if anyone has done it, would seem like a bit of a bore anyway loading all the hooks!

cheers again guys,

Jebend

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

i may be wrong in this, and feel free to correct me if i am.....

i have been told.... that this practice is illegal

fishingnuts95
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishingnuts95 »

i can see how you are saying this could be illegall as i know that boats do need a license to long-line so it may be the same from the shore aswell.
thanks
fishingnuts95

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

I would check the regs on this......they fished off the beach this way many years ago but like beach seineing it is now a no-no.........