Question About Ling Weights?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Esskie

Question About Ling Weights?

Post by Esskie »

Hi there,
This is something I've never really noticed until just lately but when reading catch reports you might see cod 23lb, pollack at 10lb etc, but I noticed a 3 figure system for ling such as "a ling of 11-8-0 and a personal best ling of 10-8-0" etc,

Could someone explain this system to me at all please?

I've always just went by the weight in Lb or Kg, usually Lb though

Thanks & Tight Lines, Andy

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle »

Andy,

Not quite sure why you've only seen this relating to Ling ......... 'cos it relates to all fish weights but is generally ignored except for mini species.

The example you show - "11-8-0" stands for 11 pounds, 8 ounces, 0 drachms. There are 16 ounces in a pound and 16 drachms in a ounce.

As you can imagine, a drachm doesn't weigh a lot so would be impossible to differentiate on normal angling scales.

Cheers,

Dave

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

Aah! :)

Thanks for that Dave, I'm of an age where I'm pretty comfortable with metric and imperial (giving nowt away lol)

Lb & oz I've seen fish weighed in and have seen drachm but not in wide scale use at all......I just had to look to see that a drachm is 1/256lb

So a ling of 11-8-0 is 11lb 8oz right

Thanks so much for that bud, just goes to show you never stop learning ;)

Cheers, Andy

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Esskie wrote:Aah! :)

Thanks for that Dave, I'm of an age where I'm pretty comfortable with metric and imperial (giving nowt away lol)

Lb & oz I've seen fish weighed in and have seen drachm but not in wide scale use at all......I just had to look to see that a drachm is 1/256lb

So a ling of 11-8-0 is 11lb 8oz right

Thanks so much for that bud, just goes to show you never stop learning ;)

Cheers, Andy
I'm stll using pounds shillings and pence.
lol
Cheers
keith

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

and don't forget those round gold coloured ones we know as 'Beer Tokens' Keith ;)

On the written/reported weights thing again, while looking at the catch reports pages in my comic I see the magazine's own catch comp sizes for each species using pounds & ounces, ie; Pollack from Boat this month was 16-8 from Newhaven.

Is the use of the drachm used more in competitions aye?.....I dare say if you get a pair of fish the same weight the more sensitive drachm could be the decider.

Haven't ever seen that scale of measurement on any weighing scales either to be honest. My own scales, DAM 50Lbmax does Kg too or trusty old brass Salter 10Lb spring scales is Lb & ounces.

I'll probably begin to notice this a lot more now after us discussing it :)

Well Pter, Weegi & I shall be looking for something to weigh preferably in Lb & Oz tomorrow on our visit to the deep water marks near Eyemouth & St Abbs

Thanks again for clearing that up for me,
Best Regards, Andy