Mackerel Fishing From The Beach

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

MrRee

Mackerel Fishing From The Beach

Post by MrRee » Sat May 07, 2005 10:31 am

Any tips for this?

Mudeford area?

Is it just a case of cast-out with feathers, wind in and hope something takes?

High Tide best?

I seem totally crap at this thing when it should be simple - I've seen Mackeral throwing themselves onto beachers in the past.

How do you know they are there? disturbance on the surface? Seagulls diving? Is it worth the effort casting if there appears to be no activity?

Thanks!

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix » Sat May 07, 2005 10:40 am

Hello, your best bet is to walk along the beach at the base of hengistbury head and walk up to the head casting out as you go, over many years of fishing for mackerel we have had much success with this method and couple of years back I caught 160! I find white feathers are the best or siver as the Mackerel tend to come close to the shore for white bait etc. You really have to get the right time of year which I think is July onwards at Hengistbury Head. fishing of the groyne then can be great for Mackerel and Garfish, using feathers and spinners, I took a walk up to the groyne last weekend and was only seeing Wrasse caught. but give it a couple of months and the fishing will really pick up there :wink:
How do you know they are there? disturbance on the surface? Seagulls diving? Is it worth the effort casting if there appears to be no activity?
Well yea all the things you mentinoned really, when the Mackerel swarm in its like the sea is boiling it can get that mad at times but its not always the case some fish can be a bit further of shore and you will not notice them but they could be still there.
Is it just a case of cast-out with feathers, wind in and hope something takes? High Tide best?
Yea basically thats it just reeling in with do the job to be honest, sometimes it might be best to speed up or slow down your retrieve this can help and I would say High Tide would in most cases be best.

Cheers
mrix

Post by Guest » Sat May 07, 2005 11:46 am

Thanks MRIX ....

I tend to be on the Mudeford Quay side of the channel .... its quite a hike to Hengistbury Head, unless you use the noddy train ..... just thought, there is the ferry!

My brother-in-law caught 22 Mackeral off Seaford last weekend - I thought it was a bit early for Mackeral??

Were/how would we get some Bass out of the Mudeford Quay area? AND what about all those Mullet you can see in the harbour there? Never had any luck with them!

Pete

mrix

re:

Post by mrix » Sat May 07, 2005 12:44 pm

Hello again, hmm Mullet well to be honest I have seen lots of them myself but I have never been that interested in personally catching them but I know they are a polpuar fish to catch. hopefully someone else maybe able to give you some idea`s there :?: , On the Bass front I have fished the Mudeford quay myself many times over the years and have seen many large Bass come from there to different methods, one more common/popluar method is to use a 3/0 hook baited with a joey Mackerel fillet on say a 4 to 6 foot trace weighted with a 5oz+ lead and just lowered around the area of the mouth of the run by the green light. if you want to be more active some have success by trotting a Sandeel down on a 6ft trace with just a 2oz ball lead, one guy I have seen over the years has had a few Bass over 10lb and one at 13lb! using this method, also I have seen many using Live bait etc and some will use Floats so there are many different methods to use but personally the first one is best in my book if you are after that Specimen Fish. I think its best fished again later in the year and it can be really good when the Ragworm are spawning Mudeford quay side as the Bass come up to feed on them. but to be honest I cant remeber what time of year that is :?: getting too old brain gone dead :lol:
maybe someone reading this post will know :?: and give us the answer
Cheers
mrix

tj
Casting Coach
Casting Coach

Post by tj » Sun May 08, 2005 8:59 pm

on a safety note it is a good idea to check the consruction of shop bought mackeral feathers. some i have used have not been of good quality. they are made with too thin a line. i used to re tie mine with 80lb shock leader. its a horrible thought what a set of feathers attached to 5 ounces of lead could do if it went shooting off down the beach.

mrix

re:

Post by mrix » Mon May 09, 2005 5:53 am

Yea very good point! I myself have had a few feathers snap off on me over the years due to the line was too thin.
Cheers
mrix