Big Tides Next Week :)

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Esskie

Big Tides Next Week :)

Post by Esskie »

I imagine there will be many of us across the country stocking up on bait, checking rigs & tackle etc in readiness for the latter part of next week as I am!?!? :D

I think I'm right in saying this will be the Autumn Equinox?, the tides are certainly peaking at the time of no/a new moon

Just hope we get a good stiff wind to put some colour in the water and we'll be one step closer to a tight line :)

Also a good chance to pump some of the lug beds that are normally always under water too, fingers crossed anyway.

I know it'll hopefully mean another all-nighter for your's truly ;)

Tight Lines & Take Care, Andy

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I spent the whole of today just making weights.
Cheers
keith :D :D

browners
Occasional
Occasional

Post by browners »

yep il be out 2 nights next week , selsey and hayling :)

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

There's a lump of lead here but can't find my damn smelting pot Keith :-/
Hopefully I'll find it or pickup something in time to get a few done?.....plenty 4oz & 5oz grips in the box.
been having a lot of luck lately using a baited float rig to be honest but the water has been very clear at times this last week so??....

I wish I was located where you are browners mate!, we were down your neck of the woods at the I.O.W a few years back and remember thinking how much I'd have liked to wet a line off Ryde Pier Head on there, do you know it at all?.

Re the fishing though, there's a massive band of rain (rain = low pressure) heading across most of the country from the Atlantic and I'm sure I heard the weather guy mention strong gusts too? so things are loking promising :D :D

Wonder if we're getting the backlash from hurricane Earl?

browners
Occasional
Occasional

Post by browners »

hi andy . no im on main land at bognor regis . my main beach is selsey and pagham . but the whole of the solent is good fishing . plenty to go at all year here . what about your part of the woods ? alan

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

browners wrote:hi andy . no im on main land at bognor regis . my main beach is selsey and pagham . but the whole of the solent is good fishing . plenty to go at all year here . what about your part of the woods ? alan
No my choice of wording Alan mate sorry, I think I was a bit ambiguious with my use of 'your neck of the woods' :)

Good to hear the fishings good where you are anyway

I'm located in S.E Scotland on the River Forth, if you read Sea Angler you might've seen St.Abbs or Cockenzie mentioned?, these are just a couple of marks on the Forth.
To be honest though, the fishing is better the further out of the Forth you go, which means heading to N.E England almost!....certainly from the shore anyway

Some good productive deep water marks within 10-20mins away from the house and a couple of bass spots (neither anything like what they once were though sadly) so I can't say I'm spoiled for choice but don't have to trek too far either

Esskie

Looking Good!

Post by Esskie »

Well I don't know how it's looking where you guys are, other than from what I see online, but we're currently getting very strong winds which are reported to subside after midweek? :D

However, when I woke this morning the rain was literally bouncing 6"-8" off the ground & remained that way for a couple of hours, looks like there's been a lot of rain during the night too :-S

I've got a shelter here I got from GCA on which the whole front can be zipped up with a taped zipper so no worries about staying dry but the rain could put the dampers on the whole trip? (pun intended).
All the bait is in the wee bait fridge in the shed ready to go too, a bit of everything there from whole peelers to baby squid & cuttlefish to mussels & razors with over 5Lb of loligo squid, mackies and loads of fresh lug & rag :((

We've probably all sat out in worse mid-winter but to be perfectly honest I think I prefer the cold to lashing rain!?

On a brighter note, according to the online 9-day forecast shows it's to calm down and fair up come Thursday/Friday, this could actually be a good thing with fish hopefully coming inshore to 'clear up' the food left after the rough weather?

I'd intended to go Wed/Thu but may end up going early doors Thursday morning through until Friday?, there's a big high at approx 04.20z Thursday I'd like to fish though

How's it looking down the other end of the country lads?

browners
Occasional
Occasional

Post by browners »

wind dropped off down here , with patchy rain . out tonight at selsey west beach .

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

It's still windy as hell here Alan but the rain has eased up

I do believe the sun was trying to break through the cloud a wee bit there too but we don't want too much sun!

Best of luck for tonight ;) , you targeting any species inparticular mate? or like myself and anything daft enough to throw itself at my hook provides sport enough :)
catch & release of course other than the odd decent cod, pollack or mackies for bait!

Take care, Be Safe & Tight lines bud, Andy

browners
Occasional
Occasional

Post by browners »

went looking for sole . but only got weed , weed and weed . oh and load of pout but was a nice evening , no wind

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

browners wrote:went looking for sole . but only got weed , weed and weed . oh and load of pout but was a nice evening , no wind
A great stuff Alan, hope you had a good night overall mate

I like sole myself, sadly don't seem to see too many around here for some reason?.....night/darkness is definitely the time to try & tempt sole though huh?
do you mind if I ask what you were using please mate?, rag?, lug?, rag cocktail?

at least all the pout would've kept you awake though huh? :D , seriously though I'd consider that better than nothing at all!

well it's good to say the wind has died down a lot today here too and it's fair despite the ground being damp still....not sure how much but we had more rain during the night?.
A massive wave of storm clouds passed over at approx 1900z last night with thunder, lightning the lot!, def wouldn't have liked to be out in that

There's still a good swell on the water though and there are lots of birds diving within casting distance so I'm hoping to head out tonight if it stays as it is just now so fingers crossed

Cheers, Andy

browners
Occasional
Occasional

Post by browners »

good luck tonight . small lug or small rag on size 4 hooks

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

Out for part of Wednesday night without much success at all I'm afraid, nothing to speak of anyway :((

However, Pter, myself & Weegi (till about 2200z'ish?) went out last night but armed with very near every bait known to man & fish lol

Due to the big spring tides, a mark that is usually a couple of metres deep at low tide was completely exposed allowing us to see what the bottom was like!

This did also mean that Pter nor I stopped fishing at around 2300? until around 02.30z this morning but did allow a wee bit kip.

Again, partly due to the lack of actual fishing time I think, only one 2lb cod was pulled in, it took a lug, squid, peeler cocktail.

What I'm wondering now is this, is that the cod starting to show now or just due to the conditions last night?.
Red or Rock Cod do tend to stay in the kelp inshore I think anyway?, I was particularly chuffed as it's always nice to see a cod/codling coming in on the end of your line!

Tonight Weegi & myself are planning going out but not an all-nighter I'm afraid due to my crappy bivvy pretty well disintegrating!

I'll report how we get on tonight, there's still more than 1/2Kg of massive fresh ragworm to get through!!

There's a thing, I have seen salted ragworm but rag don't freeze well do they?, am I right in saying they just turn mushy?

pter

Post by pter »

Esskie

Post by Esskie »

Hi Peter,
I enjoyed it myself mate and I know Weegi was gutted that he was working the next day!

Only downside as you say was the lack of water at one point, there's normally a metre or more of water off the edge at low tide but I hadn't accounted for the very low spring tide...dOh! :D

Called GAC about that bivvy and was immediately offered a replacement, however instead of another one of those they've given me credit against this one here:
2m x 2m and probably the one I should've taken to start with!....it's just a big dome tent with a larger than normal door opening really?

Also, remember how I was struggling to explain that thing about tide velocity and breaking the ebb/flood up into 12 sections etc aye?
There was only a bloody article about just that in that issue of seas angler that was kicking around lol

Hope this isn't too big but it's really interesting & useful so I scanned the page, hopefully other will find it useful too? (you can zoom in/out by holding CTRL & Scrolling your mouse wheel or CTRL & + or - ;)) :

Weeg got a braw pic of the sunset on his iPhone which really stands out well on the pc monitor!, I'll email it to you

Glad you enjoyed yersel tho ma man, I know you had me in stitches at one point wi those jokes...nag nag nag nag nag!! :D
I told it to Weeg but just got a vacant stare for my efforts, he'll get it after the first 6mnths of having moved in with his beloved though I bet haha! :D

Anytime Peter, you've got my number, prob best with email though but I don't have to be asked twice to go out fishing like. My thanks to you for the good crack and lift home!

I'm keen to fish off that point/peninsula you saw sometime too, think it's probably six & half a dozen distance wise if parking at the other end?