What size weights to use off a pier ????

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Turnip

What size weights to use off a pier ????

Post by Turnip »

Hi im going to try pier fishing off walton & clacton, what size gripper weights would i need or should i just buy an assortment. I know diffrent tides will mean faster or slower water just a rough guide would be appreciated.
Thanks

Turnip :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

HI turnip mate, I normally use a 5oz plain gemini or fising close to the pier and change the nose cone for a gripper when casting away fron the pier.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Turnip

Post by Turnip »

rabbi2 wrote:HI turnip mate, I normally use a 5oz plain gemini or fising close to the pier and change the nose cone for a gripper when casting away fron the pier.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
keith :D :D
Hi rabbi2 thanks for the info mate, think i will buy a few of each size to start with but will have a go with 5oz. My wallet is slowly emptying :((

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

Depends on the tide , anything 4-8 oz , but always grippers so you don,t drift across other anglers lines.

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

I fish Deal pier in Kent using 4-7oz weights with grippers. The weight tends to be determined by the force of the tide. That said, this pier is really snaggy and so I tend to use my old beaten up weights on a pulley rig - that way if I lose the weight, I'm not left broken hearted.

buggaluggs
Occasional
Occasional

Post by buggaluggs »

Hi tend to use 6oz breakaway most of the time good alround lead. With a few 5oz just incase