Help please with shock leader

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Turnip

Help please with shock leader

Post by Turnip »

Hi everyone this is all new to me as is sea fishing, Ive bought a rod and multiplier reel loaded the line on to the reel which is 15lb and greased weasel shock leader 60lb could someone please tell me how much shock leader to put on ive been told its two lenghts of the rod. Going to try fishing clacton/walton piers at first to see how i get on thanks for reading :)

scoob8254
Regular
Regular

Post by scoob8254 »

dont think theirs any right or wrong amount to load on as long as its long enough to travel at least 6 turns around your spool, fishing a beach u may want the bare minmum on so just enough to travel 6 times round the spool, but if u fish quite a high pier / wall / cliff u might want longer, enough to reach the water if u going to have to pull the fish up.. personaly i always use the minmum needed as even on a pier i never catch anything big enough to trouble my mainline which is 20lb.

so to recap at least enough for 6 turns round the reel minimum for safety, and ofcourse use a leader strength which is at least 10lbs per ounce of lead you going to be chucking so 6 ounce = 60lb

scoobs

Turnip

Post by Turnip »

Thanks scoobs i did wonder about pulling a fish from the water off a pier, Thanks for repling will try 6 turns see how it gos, a bit of trial and error i surpose.

Turnip

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

A warm welcome to the forums mate.
Cheers
keith :D :D

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

welcome to the forum turnip, if the reel has a level wind you would be better off getting tappered shockleaders due to the knot sometimes getting caught on it and can cause no end of problems, if its a case of it dont have a level wind then you'll be ok with the leader you have. myself when fishing walton pier always makes sure i have a long length of leader on for as mentioned if you get a nice fish and have to hand land it.but when doing general beach work id do as scoob8254 said and have bare min, which would be about 5 ta 6 turns on the reel

simon
Last edited by edwards73 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy »

Around 6 turns on the spool sounds about right to me.

Si

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

I always use tapered shock leaders as the knot is so much smaller. I think they are typically around 15ft in length, but the 6 times around is a pretty good rule of thumb.
Good luck with the fishing.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Glad to see you are using Greased Weasel for the shocker as it is one of the best - there is some cheap rubbish around at the moment (Tideline) and I was fooled but soon went back to GW after I had tried it for a few sessions and found it curling up and kinking. Now of course the amount of shocker to use is to some extent dependent on the rod - currently I have 14 ft and 12 ft rods which I use with FS reels so what to do? I measure out 12 ft to take care of the maximum rod length (no not 14ft, it's the length from the reel to the tip which matters) then add 5 ft to take care of the longest drop from tip to sinker which I am likely to use, add another couple of feet to take care of two or three reel turns and that's it. Can't recall the last time I had a crack off even when I forgot to take the bale arm off in the dark LOL.
Do not understand this six turns round the reel business - surely a couple of turns is plenty because in a crack off situation, it's hardly likely that any of the line which is on the reel will bust.

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Yep, minimum of at least 6 turns..............JOLI

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

as the lads said, the lenght of the rod plus 5-6 turns of the reel.
if your new to multis id go a little longer as you might want to do a bit of practise casting. if youve got the minimum length of shock on you wont have enough on to have a drop for your lead.
just a wee thought for ya.

Turnip

Post by Turnip »

WOW Thanks for everyones replies i really appreciate them all, Hopefully get out in the next month after my hols. Feel on this site by accident seems the right place to be for friendly information, Turnip :D

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

Turnip wrote:WOW Thanks for everyones replies i really appreciate them all, Hopefully get out in the next month after my hols. Feel on this site by accident seems the right place to be for friendly information, Turnip :D
Welcome to the site mate,yes there is a wealth of help available from a very friendly bunch of people,tight lines,Mick :D :D :D