table manners

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

table manners

Post by geordiesandman »

if i catch a fish and decide to keep it for the table,is it best to gut it straight away, or will it stay fresher for longer if i leave the gutting till later?

graham

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi graham not that ive cought may for the table but i understand that it,s better to gut them as soon as posible
steve

Seasurfer
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Seasurfer »

I agree that gutting them stright after being caught is always best, but I have found in my limited experience that as long as the fish is kept cool, it can still be gutted at home.

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Once the fish is dead the decay kicks in pretty quick, its not long before the gut / intestines start to break down.
Mackerel on a warm day will not last long at all and would definitely suggest gutting them at the beach.
Cheers all
mrix

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

thanks...

i have been doing it that way so far, more to save the mess at home an having to find a way to dispose of the waste

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

mrix is correct,gut immediatly,a rule of thumb i have is to gut straight after my next cast,and if beach fishing give the gut cavity a good wash out in the sea,bag up/cool box/bucket of sea water next and keep them out of the sun,mackeral can turn very quickly.

and please please try to avoid using a filleting knife to gut fish,thats the quick way to lose a finger,a small 2-3 inch very sharp vegetable knife is all you need (make sure you file a point on it to pierce the belly).

hope this has been of some use to you.

all the best

Andy

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos »

I normally gut any fish I catch when I get home. Simply beacuse I don't want to be carrying a knife around with me and because I can't be sold one. I normally catch mackie early morning or evening so its fairly cool. Some are gutted 2 or so hours after they have been caught but I wouldn't want to leave it much later than that though!!

Greg

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

i had been usinga filleting knife but i've started to use a 'snap off' retractable knife, much easier to carry, safer and 10 for a pound

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver »

:D some of my lads that on the boat used scissors for gutting the fish to save carrying a knife at all.
whitby.

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

reel_wizard wrote: If you are a bit "accident prone" with sharp things then use a chain mail glove as some butchers and fishmongers do but to be honest if you follow the 3 cardinal rules (never walk around with an unsheathed knife, always cut away from you and never put your hand in front of the blade) you will have to be unlucky to have any problems.
Could I suggest that a Kevlar glove may be better, we used to use these in the rubber industry in conjunction with the very sharp knives required for cutting cold rubber. They are certainly lighter, probably more comfortable and much cheaper to buy than a chain mail glove.

They look like a yellow woollen glove and you'd think you could cut one easily but it's actually virtually impossible to cut through them.

Frank

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

wizard,i think you may have missed my point fella,i didnt mention anything about filleting (i leave that til i get home),point was gutting and for that you only need a short sharp blade (most definately not a folding one,or any locking blade is illegal full stop). but yes using the correct tool for the proper job is important.

using scissors to gut a fish is a first for me,my old skipper would have wet himself if i turned up with scissors for a 14day trip at sea to gut fish with,but hey if it works go with it,fair play to ya

andy

scoob8254
Regular
Regular

Post by scoob8254 »

hi, i usualy gut them at the beach using my bait knife then when get home leave them at least a day in the fridge, means you get much better fillets.
i was told to get even better fillets its best to bleed the fish, ie knock them out with a quick tap to the head then lift up their gill flaps and severe the gills, this makes them bleed out extremely quickly meaning no blood to contaminate the meat, although tbh ive never bothered myself..

scoobs