bait safe

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

needafish

bait safe

Post by needafish »

hi all .

went for a walk down to my local foreshore the other day. there where a couple of men fishing for flounders. one had this slim box shape thingy on the end of his rig. i did not get a good look .he said it was a bait safe. just wondered what they are and if anyone has used one .any help would be great.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Bait safe

Post by MadKev »

Sounds like the one used more often from boats, like a tiny brass bed-warming pan with perforations ('let t'flavour flood out'). Load it with bait, clip the lid shut, lower it to the bottom and the projecting rod releases the contents. Still available, check the classifieds in your favourite angling mag. These're all variations on the same theme, big scent backs up small bait, but I'd not fancy casting one far.

concrete

Post by concrete »

A baitsafe is like coffin with a weight at the front. When you cast it it stays together, but when it hits the water, the lid comes off and your bait/s come out. They work well with soft baits that you want to cast a long way.

Edgey

Re: bait safe

Post by Edgey »

needafish wrote:hi all .

went for a walk down to my local foreshore the other day. there where a couple of men fishing for flounders. one had this slim box shape thingy on the end of his rig. i did not get a good look .he said it was a bait safe. just wondered what they are and if anyone has used one .any help would be great.
Tried using one about 20 years ago. Never worked. The lid would stay shut or worse get snagged up and you would lose the rig and waste money.

concrete

Post by concrete »

I used them years ago and didn't have any trouble.

needafish

Post by needafish »

thanks for the replys. does the hook bait sit in side when you cast.

blakdog

Are they still available

Post by blakdog »

As with Concrete (and fishing with Concrete) I've had no hassle so long as the door mechanism is kept clean. I still have a couple somewhere minus the doors, but haven't seen them for sale for some time. Somebody did tell me that production stopped when the guy who invented them died (Ted Thwait??) but I don't know how true this is.

concrete

Post by concrete »

According to Total Sea Fishing, somebody's still making them, but I can't remember who. There will now be a short intermission while I fill a reel up :)

blakdog

Filling the reel up

Post by blakdog »

Are you filling it with line, grease ..... or Concrete? If you fill it with pink concrete and stick it in the garden it will make a very attractive feature - you could even do a Charlie Dimmick (or whatever her name is) and attach a pump and hose to it to make a water feature out of it.

concrete

Post by concrete »

You will be pleased to know that is is now full of nice red line, and I've even put oil in the bearings(has to be done sometimes). Anyway back to the other post, have you managed to find a few flounders this year? I've seen more this year than normal, but they're still a rarity.

blakdog

Flounders

Post by blakdog »

Haven't been after them. Open University exams and birth of littlun coincided with the season across the border and I think the rain may have messed the local season up on the Colne - too much freshwater in the river puts a mocker on things.

concrete

Post by concrete »

I reckon you'll get a nasty shock when you do go after them. Nothing is safe from the trawlers now and they have got so desperate that they are going after the flounders for pot bait and getting pennies for them. The Orwell doesn't have flounders anymore :x

needafish

Post by needafish »

not been after them myself not even had the odd one by chance. i dont think there has been to many around my area this year from what i have heard. sorry concrete can i go back to your line loading. was it a multi or fixed spool you where doing. if multi can you please tell me the best way you find to load them so the line lay is even any help would be great thanks.

blakdog

Flounders

Post by blakdog »

Went last year on the Colne and did ok although the odd trawler has been about - saving grace for the Colne is the moorings, little backwaters and the Oyster beds which can't be trawled. I went lead weight sniffing the other day and there were the usual scrapes (and 30 B/aways!). Also seem to be a lot of mullet still feeding which is unusual for this time of the year.

concrete

Post by concrete »

They're getting mackerel up north and garfish at Weymouth.