Why is it frowned upon to keep skate/rays these days?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Gail

Why is it frowned upon to keep skate/rays these days?

Post by Gail »

I have been wondering this for a while. Sea Angler mag just jogged my memory. I used to eat Skate when I was a child. Apparently any ray was referred to as Skate by the fishmongers.
As far as I am aware they are quite prolific and certainly not endangered so why does everyone put them back?
I have never caught one but I'm not quite sure what I would do with it if I did. Thought I'd better ask beforehand.

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver »

i think anglers put them back because u only eat the wings and the rest of the skate goes to waste,such a shame to kill such a gracefull creature just for its wings.
thats my theory anyway but it may well be wrong .
i hope this helps.
and good luck wi ur skate search.
screemin reels.
whitby

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, my theory is simple, in the bad old days (last week i think it was) a lot of anglers did'nt just fish for sport, it was a cheap way of feeding the kids a few times a week. But over the years, things have changed, and most anglers fish mainly for the sport, consequently, a lot of fish have been classed as sport fish, and therefore get put back. Cheers..Mick
PS, thankfully i dont need to feed my kids, otherwise i would be in big trouble. ;)

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

rays/skate/roker etc,was a favourite on the fishmongers slab some time ago,and therefore was quite extensively commercially fished,this reduced the numbers . and i think alot of the species take along time to reach breeding maturity,therefore numbers are only now starting to increase.so a CnR policy is looked upon as the correct thing to do.but i dont mind a bit of skate n chips once a year

all the best

Andy

Gail

Post by Gail »

Thanks for the replys guys, it does clarify things a bit. BTW whats a CNR policy?

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

Gail wrote:Thanks for the replys guys, it does clarify things a bit. BTW whats a CNR policy?
Catcn N' Release

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

I think most anglers consider rays a difficult fish to prepare for the table so they put them back.
There is just as much waste when you fillet a cod with their gurt big heads but it is a simple job compared to skate.
I like a nice piece of skate fried in butter but do C&R egg laden females . :)

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

Keeping your catch is an individual choice and you should not be swayed by the opinions of others imho. If a fish is within minimum landing size and you want to eat it, keep it. I personally dont think you would be doing too much harm to the eco-system if you take the odd one now and then. If a fish is badly hooked or injured it may not survive release.

Having said that I return most of what I catch and never keep wrasse, ray huss or conger.

Gail

Post by Gail »

I shall bear all these points in mind and if I ever catch one I will decide what to do on the circumstances at the time. I must admit they do look quite cute, lol. I think if I did keep any it would only be very occaisonally.
Thanks.

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

Gail wrote:I shall bear all these points in mind and if I ever catch one I will decide what to do on the circumstances at the time. I must admit they do look quite cute, lol. I think if I did keep any it would only be very occaisonally.
Thanks.
i recon i'll only catch one occasionally...lol

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Ray meat is quite nice from memory. Once went out of Swansea on a chater way back in the days of studenthood. Had a 17lb thornback. The wings were really meaty apart from the thorns which probably should have removed before cooking.

The skipper also removed the cheek muscles which I remember to be 2 beautiful lumps of meat which I cooked deep fried in a bit of batter.

To be honest these days I'd probably put the rays back and stick to eating the mackerel and the "white" fish that appear.

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy »

Being a veggy I put all fish back. My choice and I don't go on preaching to people.
Even when I used to eat meat (20 years ago) I never ate fish.