Was it a sandeel? How big do they get?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

diceman

Was it a sandeel? How big do they get?

Post by diceman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 am

Yesterday I was fishing with spinners at a favourite spot. The tide wasn't right so wasn't expecting anything when I felt a slight knock. There wasn't much fight on the line but there was definatley something there....
reeled in and found what I think was a very large sandeel had taken the lure . Didn't get a picture because i didn't have my phone with me but it was easily as thick as a large tube of toothpaste, longer than most mackeral (over a foot) and beach coloured. It was returned to the water after a brief inspection but its interesting what the sea thows up every now and again. I'd have never thought you'd get a sandeel to take a 48g cebar! I considered putting it on as bait but it seemed a bit unfair besides i didn't have any hooks big enough. Still if that's the size of the sandeel what size would the bass that took it have been ;) . So was it a sandeel (i know it wasn't a garfish) and how big do they get?

kev37
Occasional
Occasional

Post by kev37 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:23 am

hi diceman i have courte largg sandeels befour thay are could launce or somthing like it and thay can grow to about 14 inches i think

kev B-)

kev37
Occasional
Occasional

Post by kev37 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:52 am

here i got this from google
Launce - This is a large species of sand eel and can be anywhere from 10 -18 inches in length. Making it possible to cut them into as many as three baits. Half a launce is a very good long range bait, used with a 4oz weight they fold back and really fly through the air. These can be bought at tackle shops, but try fishing for them off piers etc, they are normally around with the mackerel. Keep them alive in a bucket till you go home and you'll struggle to get fresher baits.

kev B-)

diceman

Post by diceman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:38 pm

yep that sounds like the beastie. Cheers

kev37
Occasional
Occasional

Post by kev37 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:45 pm

no problam good to be of assistance

kev B-)