Online First Aid Course

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Limey1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Online First Aid Course

Post by Limey1 »

Your mate slips on rocks while fishing and sustains a very deep cut that is bleeding profusely. The result is, he goes into shock.......
Would you know what course of action to take if this happened to you?

The BBC has an online first aid course and here you can take a 'just for fun' test of your first aid knowledge and then take the full course if you want too.

I spent a number of years in the St John's Ambulance, but I was shocked to see how much first aid has changed, and just how many questions I got wrong.
My score was 70%....... Can you do better ?

Accidents while fishing can and do happen.

Follow this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/first_aid_a ... _pg1.shtml

rocket

Post by rocket »

60% thats sad and i did a full 1st aid course 4 years ago.

Limey1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Limey1 »

:) Well it seems like out of 46 views on the first aid course only one (Rocket) appears to have done the test.

Come on then peoples, try the test and let us know your score.....

No Cheating............

Edgey

Post by Edgey »

Limey1 wrote::) Well it seems like out of 46 views on the first aid course only one (Rocket) appears to have done the test.

Come on then peoples, try the test and let us know your score.....

No Cheating............
Being an ex-copper and holder of a Royal Humane Society Commendation and having re-done my first aid every three years for fifteen years, but since leaving 18 years ago, I have not done any, I was shocked that I got only 60%.

It is amazing the changes that have taken place.

concrete

Post by concrete »

90%, only got the circulation one wrong and I've never done a first aid course. :D

Limey1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Limey1 »

concrete wrote:90%, only got the circulation one wrong and I've never done a first aid course. :D

Beginners luck...... Just as you did at Devils Island...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

trueuk1

Post by trueuk1 »

got 90% and my fisrt aid qual ran out 9 years ago never done any since i left the army
note to self
must try harder

VifferRider
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by VifferRider »

80%

most of it is common sense.

R

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom »

i got 70% :D but i do hate breathing into those dolls for training!

concrete

Post by concrete »

Limey wrote
Beginners luck...... Just as you did at Devils Island......
A senior moment perhaps :lol:

PaulS

Post by PaulS »

80%, but i was watching calendar girls on the telly at the time!!

Have a great Xmas one & all

Big-G

Post by Big-G »

80% - fancy not taking a pulse to check for circulation, and my mother in law is a nurse in A&E and she would check the pulse too. oh well she's been qualified for over ten years now.
Any way, thanks limey, most educational I think i'll go and renew my Certificate ASAP.
G

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

70%. The heart attack questions a bit of an odd one. If you are an HSE first aider, you are told quite specifically that you do not under any circumstances administer drugs of any kind. We're first aiders, not paramedics!

Limey1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Limey1 »

DuncBooth5 wrote:70%. The heart attack questions a bit of an odd one. If you are an HSE first aider, you are told quite specifically that you do not under any circumstances administer drugs of any kind. We're first aiders, not paramedics!
Your on drugs "Dundee" :lol: :lol: :lol:

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by MadKev »

Yup, 90%. Hadn't got the carotid thing wrong in real life yet, didn't know it was current best practice. Mark you, returning to the original question, "What would you do?".

1. Aways go through their kit for mementoes of what was once a fine fisherman. He knows he'd never survive an arterial cut that bad this far from help, and I'm sure he'd want his stuff to go to a good home.
2. Triage Assessment - Try to get me thumb up his a**e, or tell him St John's have turned up. If he doesn't get up and run away from either of those then he's a goner anyway. Generally works at road accidents and pub fights: I find it combines the pragmatic with the practical.
3. Ask him if he wants me to pop round to let his widow know of her sad loss. None of me mates let me near their wives normally, dunno why. MK