Catching Mullet tips/advice needed

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

diceman

Catching Mullet tips/advice needed

Post by diceman »

I'm seeing lots of Mullet turning up in my local river and was wondering the best way to go about catching them? I've heard their good sport but never targeted them before so whats the best method? baits etc? I've been told to use very small hooks (size?) and compressed bread (white?) on a float is this correct? The river I've been seeing them in is very shallow (too shallow for floats) so was considering if a ledger or some other type of rig would work. Also does anybody know if their any good to eat?

buggaluggs
Occasional
Occasional

Post by buggaluggs »

Hi mate. If it that shallow use a lightfeeder type rod with a plain lead ledger rig just enough to hold bottom so you can work it though the swim if needed. mashed bread groundbait. Bread on a size 10 or 12 hook. Take a bit of bread and fold it over the hook and pinch it all around the edges so it traps the hook and a bit of air inside( so it looks a bit like a pasty?). that should be all you need. Have fun.

diceman

Post by diceman »

Cheers for that. I'll let you know if I get anything.
FYI
Found out mullet are a very slow growing fish that only spawn after 10 years or there abouts so will be returning any I catch