rubber and nylon

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

buggaluggs
Occasional
Occasional

Post by buggaluggs »

All this talk of rubber nylon & PVC thought it was gonna be summat interesting LOL

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Just wishful thinking on your part my mate.
lol :D :D :D >:) >:) >:)
Cheers
keith :D :D

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

i dont want to burst keiths bubble but my chest waders are PVC made by shakesphere i have had them about 7years and i have had no problems with them unlike the rubber ones which i had and sweated all the time in the plus the beauty of the pvc ones they are very streachy as i often tuck my coat into them if i am launching boats and have to walk out into deep water, anoter way to look at it is most ridged inflatable boats are made of PVC and they dont have many puncher problems

Dave :D

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

jacko69 wrote:my chest waders are PVC made by shakesphere i have had them about 7years and i have had no problems with them unlike the rubber ones which i had and sweated all the time in
so, are you saying that you do not sweat a lot in the pvc? what are they like for keeping the cold out?

graham

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

They won't keep out the cold as such but they certainly reduce the wind chill factor. The neoprene ones will keep out the cold but as already pointed out when you come to remove them the amount of sweat that you have done reqires a change of clothes at the very least.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I'll take issue over the question of rubber permeability. Rubber is gas permeable to at least some degree, though I imagine the rate depends on the particular rubber compound. What an angler wants is material permeable to water vapour. In my own experience I have found rubber better than pvc.

The question of sweating in waders is as much related to activity as the wader material. Moisture will condense on the inside of any wader if you are very active, even the high-tech breathables, though these are much better than nylon/pvc. Ambient temperature and moisture affect breathability.

The best waders for active fishing are undoubtedly those sold as breathables, but they're also the most expensive.

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

so what about under garments?

in the winter i wear at least a pair of long johns , even a pair of tracksuit bottoms under my floatation suit to keep my legs warm...admittedly thats a bad idea if i have to walk any real ditsnce ....back to the sweating issue. but if i'm standing for any leangth of time its ideal.

...so the same, i presume, applies to waders. ie. if i am going to be standing in the north sea in a pair of nylon waders, and i have some tracky botoms under them then i'll be warmer. if i'm just plodging, and moving about then no need for the extra layers?

graham

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

hmmm just to fuel thedebate, theres another type i have come accross...

Nylo-Stretch

aparently they feature 'a high quality, durable Taslan material with an outer shell, as used in all breathable waders. Combined with PVC lining' and this makes them 'both highly comfotable and durable'

graham

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

stocking foot waders.......
i presume these are waterproof down to the ankles then not the feet??
if so does this then mean you get wet feet even in a pair of decent boots....?
i would think that the only reason for this would be that they would work like a wetsuit and the water will warm up inside the boot....but surely thats uncomfortable!!

graham

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Nope, they're waterproof down to the toes (inclusive). If you do buy some, get ones with built in gravel guards. The separates always let in small pebbles. (You can't do without guards unless you want to empty your boots every few mintutes.) More expensive still, but worth it.