Article on BBC news

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Article on BBC news

Post by essexkenny »

Now, I'm probably going to be shot down in flames for this, but so be it.....

Just watching the news on BBC 1, and there was an article on the beaches around the UK..........
It was reporting how the Marine Conservation Society have said that the level of litter on the beaches around the UK is unacceptably high.

I know aswell as everybody else on here, that we are not the only people who use the beaches, but the one picture they showed on the quick report, was of an empty drinks can, a bundle of seaweed and coiled up mono line!!! X(

But its not hard to put bait wrappings, discarded line, drink cans etc in a bag and bin it on the way home is it, as eventually its going to do nobody any good with fishing perhaps being banned from a lot of places around the coast !! If I can take my litter home with me as lots of others do, then the people who dont can start to aswell cant they.
:D

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stingraysteve »

yeah all fishermen take there rubbish home :^o
I do take mine and anyone else's around me at the time home, not sure as I've not fished it for a while but belive fishing at park shore beaulie was banned because of the litter, the worst place I ever fished was layde bay bristol channel when we got there it was embarssing the amount of newspaper (for rag) and ammo bait bags left on the shoreline, I always wondered how it would go if the local clubs or even the forums had a get together but to litter pick a beach instead of fish it,

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

unfortunately us anglers will always get the blame for litter on beaches X( ,and in some circumstances rightly so,but its the part time uneducated "danglers" that leave the mess X( X( .

i hear whats being said,what does it take to take a carrier bag with you to put your rubbish in (and any other you may find around your area) and bin it ? its so simple ,fool proof? no its the fools that leave a mess X( , #:-S rant over #:-S .

this topic comes up quite regularly on these forums,usually september "silly season".

kenny yes i did see the news report,and just thought "here we go its us anglers being blamed again :(( "

atleast if we can be seen to be tidying up after ourselves,when joe public are walking their poo machines,it may make a difference to our public persona

all the best

Andy

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

as above anglers will always get the blame or should i say bad anglers cos it dont matter if you catch a lot of fish and think your a good angler but still leave your rubbish your a bad angler but having said that those that do that your not an angler of any sort in my mind just a please use your own words as mine would get deleted
steve

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I have on occassion had my newspaper that my bait has been in, blow away and to be honest I am unable to run after it, but I have still looked round feeling guilty.

Cheers
keith :D :D

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Yeah i agree completely, in that we as fishermen/women get the blame from the off.
Bit out of order really, as nobody would be aloud to say it was turkish/greek people leaving kebab wrappers along a town centre on a friday night, but ho hum thats the way it is.
Rabbi, ive had the same thing happen to me with newspaper bait wrappings, and even at 24, i havent always chased them over weedy rocks on a windy night for not wanting to break an ankle >:) And bundles of lost line will inevitably get tangled with weed and wash up on the beach,
But the plastic sandeel/mackerel wrappings left on sea walls, piers etc there is no excuse for in my book..... at the end of the day we can all carry them to the beach with our bait in, so we can carry them off the beach when theyre empty and put them in the bin cant we :D
Thats my two bobs worth,
Happy fishing :D

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

Litter=laziness,the point made that its taken there but too much effort to take away is spot on.When I lived in Norfolk our local club lakes used to do day tickets,this was revoked due to litter problems from visiting anglers(proved by observations made by club bailiffs)the club then became season ticket only,with one of the rules stating that "all swims will be cleared of any litter regardless of its origin before fishing commences and also at the end of each session.Failure to do so will result in a lifetime ban from holding a club ticket" Lo and behold the problem vanished in a short space of time.The possibility of losing the lease on the water due to litter was also a big factor in putting these rules into place.So its just down to making the effort......not hard is it? Cheers,Mick ;) ;)

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

we all have bit of litter blown away (it happens),ive even dropped a rig at night on the beach (spent hours looking for it) never to be seen again. but also nobody seems to mention the flotsam and jetsam that gets washed up from trawlers,commercial shipping and charter boats of our coast,as soon as a coil of mono etc. is seen on the beach it is instantly blamed on the shore angler.

yes plastic bait wrappers is NO excuse!! i keep a carrier bag in my bivvy just for rubbish.we're quite lucky our local authority provide bins at all the local venues,and the litter isnt too bad but it could be better

Andy