water proofs

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

PaulS

water proofs

Post by PaulS »

looking to treat myself to a set of waterproofs this winter - Xmas pressie from the in-laws.

Don't need flotation suit - what would anyone recommend?

VifferRider
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by VifferRider »

are you looking for some good lightweight or something a tad more thermal like gortex?

[edit]

If you have Blacks nearby

http://www.blacks.co.uk/blacks.storefro ... ightweight

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys »

Check out bennets of shefield www.bosfish.co.uk

A sundrige Reflex suit in either blue or green, this is a bib and brace suite a bit warmer than just a normall trouser style one with loads of features

£70 for the suit plus get a freecarry bag and sundridge mk1 thermal boots.
I have these boots and are very warm

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I swear by Regatta stuff but make sure you have plenty of pockets. Earlier this year I found an almost new Regatta waterproof and lined jacket in a charity shop for just £6 which is now my favourite fishing jacket. But do not forget you need to keep warm this time of year - I use thermal longjohns and a padded shirt plus jumper then put on some plastic trousers and stay warm and dry for hours. I do not presently have waders but thinking of getting some soon. Lidl's had some in earlier this year for £15 (wow) and I think I will invest if they get them in again.
Hope this helps

PaulS

Post by PaulS »

thanks for the information gents - much appreciated

Bread

Post by Bread »

I use Wychwood bib and brace with jacket. With the shakespeare boots and liners, all in I think they came to 100 quid all in.

I'd recommend them to anyone wanting a decent, warm fishing suit, but I'm sure there are others (Mustads stuff is OK by all,accounds and that can be 70 quid all in). so shop aroud.

End of the day, if you're not comfortable, dry and warm, you can't enjoy your fishing.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

waterproofs

Post by MadKev »

Sorry, bit late but only just come across the thread and Xmas has gone now, guess you're suited and booted. If not, think on this.
Best-quality uninsulated breathable jakcet and trousers you can afford. January sales at yachtie shops highly recommended (£85 the pair, Henri Lloyd make). This can go in the washing machine on 30 degs and tumble after, it's actually good for some breathables if they're muddy.
Under this, cheap, non waterproof (very breathable) insulated ski pants and bomber jacket. Saves yer knees and bum, with padding in just the right places for rocks or beach.
In depths of winter, trackie bottoms and fleece jacket under that lot again. Now, you're confidently sorted for all seasons with gear that can be worn all year round - trackie bottoms and fleece, with the waterproofs in your bag during summer. Ski pants and bomber cool evenings, all of it in winter storms. My luxury is Sealskinz sox - with trainers, with walking boots, with boat wellies.
(Get it all in black, throw on a string of pearls and you're sorted for an evening in a club if the fishing blanks)
All above cost me about £150 four year ago, all still in use.
Does this help? MK

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

String of pearls MadKev? 8O

concrete

Post by concrete »

You mean you don't wear pearls when you're fishing?
And you call yourself an angler :lol:

Bread

Re: waterproofs

Post by Bread »

MadKev wrote:Sorry, bit late but only just come across the thread and Xmas has gone now, guess you're suited and booted. If not, think on this.
Best-quality uninsulated breathable jakcet and trousers you can afford. January sales at yachtie shops highly recommended (£85 the pair, Henri Lloyd make). This can go in the washing machine on 30 degs and tumble after, it's actually good for some breathables if they're muddy.
Under this, cheap, non waterproof (very breathable) insulated ski pants and bomber jacket. Saves yer knees and bum, with padding in just the right places for rocks or beach.
In depths of winter, trackie bottoms and fleece jacket under that lot again. Now, you're confidently sorted for all seasons with gear that can be worn all year round - trackie bottoms and fleece, with the waterproofs in your bag during summer. Ski pants and bomber cool evenings, all of it in winter storms. My luxury is Sealskinz sox - with trainers, with walking boots, with boat wellies.
(Get it all in black, throw on a string of pearls and you're sorted for an evening in a club if the fishing blanks)
All above cost me about £150 four year ago, all still in use.
Does this help? MK
It was a stay at the Y M C A ..........

Young man....

Brilliant...

:D :D :D :D :D

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

So Concrete, do you think that might be why I'm not catching so many fish? Is it that I'm just not accessorising properly? :lol: :lol:

trueuk1

Post by trueuk1 »

nothing better to go fishing with than pearl necklace

oop's
must just be me 8O

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

Apparantly not trueuk! I bet one thing though-Concretes are fake! :lol: :lol:

Bread

Post by Bread »

TK Max has some decent skiing clothes in that are a real bargain at the moment. The jackets are quite similar in build to my waterproofs, so it might be worth a look.

I saw some decent middle wear there today for as little as 15 quid. It's for skiing again, but I suppose it would do the job just as well.