99p Shop

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

UglyStik360
Occasional
Occasional

99p Shop

Post by UglyStik360 »

Hi All, I went to Leighton Buzzard to the 99p shop and they had a new range of fishing tackle including large jelly lure about 4 inches, 4 small spinners, 100m of 15lbs line. I got the line and tyed a few rigs, Leonard

alex71

Post by alex71 »

id be a bit sceptical about using the line and lures for 99p :-O especially if your after anything bigger than a sprat, i just couldnt put any faith in the line or strenght of the lures hooks.

dont get me wrong ive bought a few bits from my local pound shop, bait tubs for rag, some tiny leads in a cone shape be great for power worms in the harbour and i got some floats which will be good for floating for mullet but thats as far as my trust would go.

best of luck
Alex

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom »

Line will likely be nylon, not good stuff!

The lures on the other hand will likely be okay, just replace the split rings and hooks for better quality items :)

Very little lasts long at sea anyway, so theres little point splashing out on expensive lures!

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

I cant believe that this debate is going on !!!!!!!!!! :-O , follow the old maxim 'you only get what you pay for !!!!!', keep out of the 99p shops, stick to 'Poundland' you bunch of 'tight-wads' >:)

JOLI :D

UglyStik360
Occasional
Occasional

99p Shop

Post by UglyStik360 »

UglyStik360
Occasional
Occasional

99p Shop

Post by UglyStik360 »

Hi Joli, just a little reminder for the light tackle debate of 1980's, somebody caught a 45lb Cod on a 15lb boat rod, which started off a real debate that still goes on, which resulted in a book, the guiness book of light sea angling, Leonard

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Cheers Leonard old mate, seriously I can see the logic in not wasting money but I will persevere with 'poundland'nevertheless, I'm not one to 'cut corners'

JOLI :D

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

HOLI :D :D :D

just sent u a pm mate

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

i often use the likes of 'yorkshire trading company' and 'pondland' got some great bits and pieces.

the 15lb line etc. was it 'boyz toys' ? i got some 15lb and 35lb and used the heavier for my snoods (thinner than the 25 i had been using) and the 15lb for my rotten bottoms (maybe a bit heavy if it really is the strength) and had no problems.. admittedly i've not caught anything heavier than 1 1/2 lb on them yet, but then i'm not expecting a 35lb fish yet!

other things though, chemical tip lights for next to nothing, long nose pliers for a pound, cd cases are handy for storing rigs. 20 for a pound. storage tubs, , all sorts of shapes and sizes,beads and swivels, thermal sox etc.....

i even found a pack of velcro cable ties which are great for holding my rod pieces together when traveling. also if i decide to move on to another mark, mid session they are great to hold the lead and hook to the rod to save on things swinging around and hooking you.

argains, the way forward, though i would never scrimp on important stuff like shock leaders and swivels etc..

UglyStik360
Occasional
Occasional

99p Shop

Post by UglyStik360 »

Hi, the line was tackle shop, looks like the line on the Fladen fixed spool, forgot to mention rod tip lights and cap lights waggler stick floats and much more, Leonard

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi all as to the lures from the 99p shop and from poundland upto about two years ago i used to do a lot of pike fishing ie 3/4 times a week and at some top waters and used the rubber lures all the time never had a hook or split ring pull from one of there lures fish upto 29lb12oz cant say about any of there other stuff
just bought 20.00 quids worth of lures last week at my local 99p shop still the same make as 2 years ago
steve