What wire for lead making

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Thom
Regular
Regular

What wire for lead making

Post by Thom »

Hey lads, im accumulating all sorts of dull looking gear for lead making but what im sturggling with is finding wire the right diamtre... or more so not knowing the correct diamtre of the wires that i need to fit my moulds!

I'm wondering if any of you could tell me what sized wires you use in your DCA style moulds, or even what sizes wires your DCA leads have?

Im thinking its about 2mm diamtre for the eye/loop wire and 1.2mm for the grip wires?

cheers lads!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Go to your local tip or recycling depot and get the spokes out of old cycle wheels, they are ideal and are stainless. Hope this saves you a few bob and you will be doing your bit for the enviroment.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Clarissa
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Clarissa »

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom »

Thanks alot! :D

I've got a bid in on some bicycle spokes (bulk at 2mm each) and ill invest in some spring wire too. its all adding up price wise but fortunately (minus gas) it's not too bad and it'll pay itself off!

Can i ask, im slightly confused, but when you say normal grip wires do you mean for the actual breakout wires or the wire to form the loops? i need both and 1.2mm seems very low! cheers

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I would asume that he means grip wires.

If the mould has those silly groves for brass horshoe loops, forget it and very carefully make a grove to take the bycycle spokes and put a loop in the top also bend a leg at the bottom of the wire so that it cannot pull out of the lead during a cast.
Cheers

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom »

thanks rabbi!

I must admit im struggling to find wires for grippers outside of galvanised wires... stainless is hard to come by online in the approriate Dia. (which is where id like to buy ideally).

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

If you can find any off-cuts of heavy duty armourflex underground electrical cable the sheathing of that is made of heavy gauge galvanised wire, the old fella who makes my (throw-away for rotten bottom) leads swears by it.

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

like a fair few anglers i also make my own leads (ajusti 150's) have done this for years now and have never found it a problem to find spare wires or tails for the mould, it seems to depend what size leads your making as theres a very good company online that does all the bits you would require for making your own leads,

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Perhaps you could help the chap out and put a link to the supplier or failing that a name and address with phone number if possible.
Cheers

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom »

cheers lads, see my problem is i want to make leads at the absolute minimum price, which in my mind means forming my own lead loops and wires. The problem is i can't seem to find stainless in bulk (100metres+).

I was going to use annodised wires but i don't feel they'd be up to scratch.

to be honest im in no rush, currently im stuck here in staffordshire for another 4 weeks so i ahve a bit of time yet!

cheers!

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

this is where i buy all my stuff for making leads

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Moulds.html

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Cheers for your quick reply, the link should help him out.
Cheers

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom »

cheers lads! like i said earlier i need to buy online really so veals is a good link! cheers!

I think i was just being too stingy in wanting to buy very large coils, after all ill only likely make 150leads per year or similar so i dont need much!

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

You probably would be best off buying the tail loops for your weights from somewhere such as veals like already mentioned, but for the grip wires, why not get in touch with a Welding Supply company and get some bundles of Stainless steel TiG welding wire. 316grade Stainless steel would be the best bet, in 1.0mm dia for breakouts and 1.6 for fixed grips.
Cheap enough if you are making a job lot, and all nice and straight too :D