worms

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

dontcatchmuch

worms

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi all
before i ask please dont bite my head of im just interested why
i see a lot of posts saying dident or cant go fishing cose i couldent get any worm and i also see a lot of posts saying and reporting a good day and no worm used as bait at all
so my question is why are worm the be all and end all to some and not to others only asking cose since i joined this site and lernt so much about baits from you guys i have cought more fish on non worm baits than i have on worm baits but before this if i couldent get any worm i never used to bother going would realy like to hear your veiws on this please
cheers steve
a happy fishy and new year to all

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

careful you could open a whole can of worms on this one lol.i guess its just preference,and on what the fish are feeding on at the time.

last summer while sole fishing,the soles were feeding on nothing but ragworm for ages,then all of a sudden they changed thier preference to only lugworm more or less overnight bearing in mind we were fishing the same spot the same rigs etc during the whole time

hope thats shed some light on the subject,cos im still as baffled #-o

Andy1i

Seasurfer
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Seasurfer »

I don't have a problem with using something differant to worms, but I know that I have a good chance of catching with them, and have used them for as long as I have fished. I also know that I will be able to get my hands on them when I want to go out for a bash, insted of say peeler crab, which my tackle shop never seem to stock. I really should broaden my horizon, but its just habbit I guess. Hope this helps...

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

good answers andy and seasurfer but say you had planed a day to go and couldent get worm would you say sod it and not go or would you
pick up say prawn / macki / squid / mussel or some other frozen sea bait and still go or do you fill you have to have worm
steve

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi DCM, when i started fishing i used only squid n macky, i caught as many, if not more fish with that, as i do with worms. If i have no worms, im more than happy to take squid, macky, and/or anything i can stuff into a squid body. Cheers..Mick

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Sometime worm can be hard to get when they go deep due to the cold and its like digging up concrete.

mussel is one bait that quite a few members overlook as well.
Cheers
keith :D :D

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

There are a few beaches near me that I wouldnt fish without worm. The Bass that come to these seem to feed only on worm or Razor after a storm, Im lucky and manage to get good worm all year round but if I didnt have time to dig I would fish other marks where squid, mackerel and sandeel were readily taken.

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

rabbi2 wrote:Sometime worm can be hard to get when they go deep due to the cold and its like digging up concrete.

mussel is one bait that quite a few members overlook as well.
Cheers
keith :D :D
rabbi2 are these mussels any good
Mussel Meat Large

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

well im abit of a jammy so and so. ive been allowed to have my own small freezer in my shed for bait,and its well stocked !! squid,macky,half a carrier bag of mussels(dont ask),salt cured lug, sometimes black lug and other assortments of goodies

i do use fresh worms sometimes with limited success i must say,maybe im doing something wrong!!! i guess the wriggly thing are like marmite.

tight lines for 2010

Andy1i

dickyp
Occasional
Occasional

worms

Post by dickyp »

Hi DCM, when i started fishing i used only squid n macky, i caught as many, if not more fish with that, as i do with worms. If i have no worms, im more than happy to take squid, macky, and/or anything i can stuff into a squid body. Cheers..Mick

Suggest that you go back and use your old baits as from experience you don 't catch mutch with worms (although admittedly you do catch more than me)

All the best

dickyp

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi yakdiver fresh and raw are better if you spend the time shelling them but its a fairly long and meesy job or aleast i find it to be but worth it i say
steve

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Your right Richard, even conner often remarks how we did better with simple baits and rigs etc. The last 2 years were bad for fishing whatever we used, but its picking up again now, so might try the fishy baits more often again. Cheers..Mick

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

I agree with the squid stuffing method myself, it works for me.
Another i hear of, was to aquire some mussele, cockels etc, and bait u multiple hooks with these, one at a time. Then place these in a freezer and Take these to the beach in a flask.
Fish using A single clipped Paternoster rig, with the hook clipped onto the end of the hooklength with a genie clip, not tied on.
Then when you reel in to change bait, unclip the old one, clip on the new bait and cast straight out. Same rig different hook.
Not tried it yet, but will be soon.....

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

thanks fellas some realy good replies enjoying reading them keep them coming
as to the mussels and cockels you prob no but dont forget to rap them seperatly in foil to stop them sticking to each other when you freze them :D yes i did forget first time i tryed it what a bloody big big bait i had :D
steve