Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

mifmoth

shelter

Post by mifmoth »

wannacatchacod

Post by wannacatchacod »

Hi fella,
I`ve only just started sea fishing so not that qualified to answer questions,however i got a Waterline(i think?) beach shelter a couple of weeks ago and it seems pretty good.The material is quite thick its really easy to put up and i`ve been glad the last 2 trips i`ve used it.But as i said i`m only a newbie! (better than trying to "hide" under an umbrella tho`) ;)

4CodsSake
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by 4CodsSake »

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Ive been looking for on myself. Not sure wether to go for a beach buddy type affair, or a tent, as would like to be able to go away for an overnighter and put my rods tackle etc inside, and to sit in if the weather turns foul, but also to be able to put up on hard ground, where i cant imagine a shelter being much good.

4CodsSake
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by 4CodsSake »

A beach buddy will take pretty much any weather and still stand up (if put up right) where as a tent wouldnt take as much as there no designed for beaches. If you camping locally then a tent would be great but if your looking for something for the beach then id go for a beach buddy. Also if you fishing on shingle you wouldnt hold down a tent where a beach buddy would be perfect. We recently fished Alderburgh, well we tried but with hail,rain and winds of up to 85mph it was impossible to fish but we all sat comfy dry and warm in our beachbuddys for 5 hours hoping the conditions would calm but they didnt. I was making soup n pot noodles with my camping stove inside my beach buddy yet it was blowing a hooley outside!!

Craig

wannacatchacod

Post by wannacatchacod »

Deffo agree with Craig! Beach buddy/shelter much better than a tent.Nice big skirt around the edges to weight it down with shingle /sand/or rocks.And loads of room inside...not as big as my carp fishing dome..but that would be pants to use for beach fishing. Get yourself a beachbuddy/ron thompson/waterline type shelter..you know it makes sense :D

brian_woolsey

Post by brian_woolsey »

not been a member on here long, but im hoping you wont mind my two`pennarth worth,
ive had & used a beach buddy for years, an original & i didn`t think it could be bettered.
but ive now got my hands on an Ian Golds igloo & its superb!
folds up straight, no more curved bits sticking out at an angle!
rolls up really tight as well.
easy peasy to set up, just unroll it, splay the legs out & pile on the shingle on the skirt,
then theres 2 centre poles that locate as you stand it up & thats it

the back is angled to a point so it cuts through the wind & theres no hood so you can see those rod tips without straining your neck!
i can sit right back in there out of the wind & rain & still my rods!
a little bit dearer than a beachbuddy granted, but in my opinion,
well worth it.

Hebby09

Post by Hebby09 »

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Think i should have a look at one of those then. Just that my gf and me do have plans of goin and fishing overnighters and her car Peugeot 106 is a bit small to sleep in so that was where i got the idea of a tent from.
What about the size of them, are they big enough for two people to get out of the weather and stil have room to knock up a brew???

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

I've only returned to fishing this year after a lay off lasting 20 odd years but when weather started to turn I came on this site and canvassed opinion. As a result, I'm the owner of a Ron Thompson Beach Shelter. I've only used it a few times so far so I'm notas qualified as others to comment, but so far so good. Its a bit of a bitch to put up the first few times, but I'm getting used to it and googled it the other day and found a you tube video showing a guy erecting the older style RT in about 60 seconds. Gave me a good insight into how best to put mine up and will be trying to do it Tuesday night at Barton Point. I dont think you can go wrong with the RT, as everyone that has one rates them for the money. Regarding the tent - I would still get a tent to sleep in provided it can be pegged down okay but it would not be so great for the fishing.

Only problem I've got with the RT is the bloody length of it at about 6 foot and that it kicks out at the bottom like some giant hockey stick when in its bag. Makes it difficult to store in the house and a bit of a pig if you have a small car. Thats my only criticism.

Fishafar

Post by Fishafar »

Hi, I am new to the forum as well and been fishing one year or so.

Interested to read your discussion about the shelter, as I am getting the RT shelter sometime this week. I will be storing it outside the house maybe in the shed, with the rest of the fishing stuff!

As suggested here, it seems to be the best VFM (value for money). It appears to be more spacious than the older model beach buddy which is cheaper but then its a tradeoff between price and space...and I am going for space, maybe I can sleep in it overnight??

Oh, just a quick "thank you! to all the regular posters as I have really learnt so much from here....and a happy new year as well!

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

lol,yep deffo a RT beach buddy is the way to go,a tent can and will take a certain amount of a kicking but will give in (trust me i know what im talking about :(( ). as for tent poles you aint having any joy with those little bit of bent wire they supply you with in a tent,get some old aluminium tent pole and cut them to about 14inches they are light and very strong

oh i sussed out what happened with my "carp tent" at aldeburgh,for starters i wasnt carp fishing.

and why didnt the pot noodles come my way? but gonks sausages smelt lovely on the wind lol

Andy1i

mifmoth

Post by mifmoth »

Thanks lads just ordered a RT beach buddy ,cant wait to use it! :)

mickallton

Post by mickallton »

Hi

I have the older John Holden Beach buddy probably about 10 years old now never had a problem at all with it easy to put up and to weight down using shingle, sand for added security guide ropes/bungees can be added carry a few plastic bags which then can be filled with sand or shingle then attach the guide ropes to them. There is loads of room and flaps or doors you can close up if needed i have slept on the beach with them so for the price of an RT your getting a good all rounder. You can use 1/2 person tents such as the Vango 200 which are small lightweight and are good to sleep in only. The only problem with these tents are like previously said not very good to fish from you will need an additional ground sheet to prevent the tent ground sheet being damaged by shingle or the beach. To stake the tent out either carry plastic bags and fill with sand or shingle then attach the guide ropes to these. If sleeping on the beach always ensure you pitch your tent or buddy well above the high tide mark, weather forecast are rarely right if the weather changes while your asleep you could find the tide or big seas wetting your sleeping.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »