Luminous Blue Worms While Sea Fishing

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

mogthemackem
Occasional
Occasional

Luminous Blue Worms While Sea Fishing

Post by mogthemackem » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:31 am

I was fishing roker on friday at sunderland and when brining in some kelp I noticed a couple of very small luminous blue lights in the kelp. When I turned on my head lamp they dissappeared but I could see a couple of tiny worm.wood lice type creatures. When turning my lamp back off it seemed these were the things that were glowing. Has anyone heard of, seen or know what these glowing worms were or could have been?

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:56 am

Hello mogthemackem, I had the same thing a few years ago when night fishing Hurst Castle Shingle beach, I pulled in a clump of weed and the whole clump was covered and glowing with these luminous type creatures :? and that was the only ever time I seen anything like it. havnt a clue to be honest what they were????
Cheers
mrix

Morvargh

Thngs that glow int he night!!

Post by Morvargh » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:45 pm

Hi folks,
I was out in the boat one night and saw some luminous jelly fish floating by - and I NEVER have a drink before going to sea at night!!! A marine biologist friend of mine told me that this is called bioluminescence, (I think that's how it's spelled), and it's very common amongst marine life, he says. So I don't worry so much now when I see little glowing green things on the way home after a few sherberts in The Ship Inn, I just put it down to bio-thingy!!!!

Cheers, and tight lines..........

mogthemackem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mogthemackem » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:56 am

Cheers Morvagh. I'm glad you sorted that as I was getting a few strange looks/remarks of people when trying to find the culprit.