Keeping fish .

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

PootyTang
Occasional
Occasional

Keeping fish .

Post by PootyTang »

Hi all , i don't know if your like me but after a long fishing session and sometimes a long drive home the last thing i want to do is clean and gut my catch so i usually put them in the fridge until the morning . I was wondering is this a good way of keeping them or is there a better way .

Clarissa
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Clarissa »

You spend time and pounds to catch fish.

Then you're too lazy to keep your 'eaters' in good condition.

No excuses.
Respect your catch and gut and keep on ice anything to be taken home.

Put back the rest.

B-)

turboman

Post by turboman »

gut them and clean them on the beach as soon as you catch them- leaving the innerds on the long journey home will taint the fish- best leave the guts for the seagulls on the beach

PootyTang
Occasional
Occasional

Post by PootyTang »

i have to say i agree with your comments but Clarrisa you will be the first angler i have seen taking ice to the beach . What has to be considered is some piers do not allow gutting of fish and just to clarify i do only take the fish i want and put back the majority of my catch .

turboman

Post by turboman »

PootyTang wrote:iClarrisa you will be the first angler i have seen taking ice to the beach .
Ditto..Maybe its a short walk to the marks on Hayling from the car--I carry enugh gear without towing a box of ice

stinky_wiem
Regular
Regular

Post by stinky_wiem »

I gut what I'm going to keep and then put them in the cool bag with ice packs which I use to store my bait in.
Most of mine get put back alive though.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

yep gut and clean (in the sea or bucket of sea water) to keep them cool if you dont have a cool bag is to place in a carrier bag and bury it in the beach where its cooler,as for the pier, im not too sure what to suggest,its not too bad in the cold winter months but summer can be tricky,maybe try a big bucket of sea water to store your cleaned fish in and just change the water often??? hope this is of some use to you.

Andy1i

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Agree with Clarissa, don't bother with a cool box this time of year but always take one in the summer and always gut them on the beach. This means that you will have fresh untainted fish when you get them home = quality, as you would expect from a good fishmonger.

Clarissa
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Clarissa »

.... but Clarrisa you will be the first angler i have seen taking ice to the beach

Oh dear, so you don't like a cool beer on the beach.

Yep, I do trot along the promenade at Hayling with my trusty trolle'.
Takes the main box and cool box and bucket (no spade!).

Mainly, I was referring to boats, where I often see others keeping fish in a black sack all day.

Pungent fish cakes, then?

B-)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I can understand what you are saying about keeping fish fresh when fishing from a boat.
The Main problem especially when the boat has a full compliment is space. Its bad enough with all the people on board plus rods tackle boxes, bags etc without ice boxes.

What I normally do is to gut my fish on the return journey back to the harbour and then wash it once on the shore.

As it only has 30 to 45 min in the boot of the car, it doesn't have time to go off.

Cheers
keith :D :D

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

ok dont get me wrong now people.

now,most of the charter boats are old fishing boats? they should have a fish room/hold,and maybe some ice.cogito ergo sum?

i do like the "black bin bag" idea pmsl,baked in the bag fish lol >:D<

Andy1i

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

Behead and gut those fish!!!! then keep them on ice!!! respect the catch!!!! good man!!!

Seasurfer
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Seasurfer »

I agree with reel-wizard, as often if the fishing is picking up, the last thing you want to do is be gutting your fish. I fill a large bucket with sea water, and keep all fish in it, in the back of my bivvie, until I'm ready to head home. I quickly git the fish and epty the bucket, using it to hold the gutted fish. When I get home, if the fish can be eaten whole, they go in the freezer, but if they need filliting, do it straight away. Once you refreeze the fish, it would be unsafe to thaw, fillet and then refreeze.

buggaluggs
Occasional
Occasional

Post by buggaluggs »

Take a tip from the flyfishers use a bass bag. One of the hessian bags from Tesco will do good from peirs. How to use, soak the bag in water, put fish in as the water evaporates it chills the fish. Just remember to keep checking and re-wetting the bag as it drys. Will keep fish fresh all day whatever the weather.