Regular
Regular

Fixed Spool's back in fashion

Post by AH »

scoob8254
Regular
Regular

Post by scoob8254 »

ive always used FS, i did buy a cheap mulitplyer to learne how to use one but i hardly ever take it out of my bag, i can cast with it but im not technicaly brilliant, i use a modified otg cast with brute force behind it so fs suits me more then a multiplyer,

ive got a pair of mitchell performance fixed spool reels, they the lower end of the market but am very pleased with em as they have a very smooth action when retrieving, very rugged design, feel nice to reel in but most importantly for me they dont have that cheap feeling when you turn the handle after casting to engage the bailarm, my friend has had 2 fs prob more expensive then mine and tbh are cr&p compared to mine, feel like plastic, dont feel sturdy when retrieving and you have to turn the handle nearly 1 full turn to engage the bail arm..

tight lines
scoob

AH
Regular
Regular

Post by AH »

I agree Scoobs that Mitchell Fixed Spools are quality reels.

buggaluggs
Occasional
Occasional

Post by buggaluggs »

Dont see owt wrong with a full turn to engage bailarm! stops it closing mid cast. I prefur a bailarm that locks open and that I have to shut by hand for that reason. Dont find any diff between multi or f/s although the multi may be abit smoother. I mainly use multi's but if needs arise will use f/s. horses for courses.

bugboy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugboy »

Personally I just prefer the FS, have a wee shakespear multi, but as every time I cast it a bird would fly over and try lying eggs in the mess I made. Oh then there is the odd time when I go bait fishing and then decide to put a string of feathers on or a lure of some kind, with a FS you can get away with it easier that with a multi.

I know its down to how I use it, and if I took the time out, could prob learn to use it properly. But i just find FS an easier piece of kit.

Another fellow I sometimes fish with has also returned to FS, and he actually got on okay with a multi. Never thought to ask why tho.

ed

scoob8254
Regular
Regular

Post by scoob8254 »

buggaluggs wrote:Dont see owt wrong with a full turn to engage bailarm! stops it closing mid cast. I prefur a bailarm that locks open and that I have to shut by hand for that reason. Dont find any diff between multi or f/s although the multi may be abit smoother. I mainly use multi's but if needs arise will use f/s. horses for courses.
not saying anything wrong with one that closes after a full turn, its just that feeling you get when the bailarm engages, either feels solid or doesnt, like when you close a car door, u either get that nice solid click or one that feels like its about to drop off its hinges,

one thing about fs in a bit of wind the line has a nasty habbit of just continuing to fly off ya spool even after the leads has reached its target, much pefer to snap the bailarm shut soon as it hits the water and a fs reel that enages the bail arm immediatly helps

tight lines
scoobs