Browser hijackers

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Browser hijackers

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, i know this is non fishing related, but its really getting on my nerves now. (If i put it in the lounge it will get very few views)
For the past few weeks I have encountered a rogue site trying to get me to download their software.
The software is a scanner, and it pops up out of nowhere. I have been on a number of sites, and clicked on buttons to perform a function, ie, Facebook, and tried to look at photos etc. as soon as you click on the right button up pops this scanner, Its called Intellectual-Vir-Scan05.com and no matter what you click on, ie cancel or the cross in the top right hand side of the box, you cannot get rid of it, it will continue to supposedly scan your PC and tell you that its infected, the only way i have found to get this thing off is to exit the page or site your on. This scanner/site is a scam, they use scare tactics to try make people believe their PC is infected, and sell them the scanner. I took a quick peek at another site today to learn a bit more about this rogue site, If your having the same trouble try this site.

http://www.geekpolice.net/malware-urls- ... t14033.htm

This is one of those times i wish i could track down those responsible and sort them out, these tactics are unacceptable. Cheers..Mick

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

What are you doing up so early. You should be getting your beauty sleep. God knows you need it lol :D :D >:) >:) >:) >:) >:)

cheers keith :D :D

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

At least sleep can improve me, you would need to be Rip Van Winkle to look half decent. :D :D :D

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

There are so many websites out there that will try to add anything they can to your PC, and many contain viruses, programs to find your details, passwords and generally anything they can to find out about you, what websites you look at, how long you stay on that website.
The con where the website fools you in to thinking that your PC is infected is used in many different forms all over the net, just one tactic out of thousands of different types.
If you click any of these types of links your likely to get a virus but far more common would be a form adware like a hijacker.

If you think your PC has got hijacked its best to run a Virus scan then a adware scan program like the one here, "there is a free version to use"... http://www.lavasoft.com/

Cheers
mrix

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi mrix, I have Grisoft AVG so i know i dont have a virus. This site somehow gets onto various sites and simply by clicking on a link on the site, ie Facebook, this scan pops up and pretends to scan your PC and tells you its infected, then if your daft enough to download, you are then charged for the so called scanner to remove the non exiatant virus. Its impossible to get rid of it simply by trying to cancel etc, they have made it so it doesnt stop until you either download, or exit IE. sites like this should be banned, its about time the Internet had a code of practice, and anyone doing this should be removed from the internet. X(

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

i think i came across this "scanner" last week.
again it was on facebook. it just suddenly popped up saying my computer was infected.
when i finally got rid of it by closing internet explorer i did a scan using Norman Security to find that i didnt have a virus but a trojan instead.
anyway after removing it everything seems to be working fine. im just worried that ive unknowingly downloaded something which can access personal data etc without me knowing.

alien
Occasional
Occasional

Post by alien »

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

thanks for the heads up guys,just explained it to the missus.
and she thought it was all just fishing here lol

Andy1i

merris999
Occasional
Occasional

Post by merris999 »

i used to use avg but now use AVAST which has live P2P scanner i.e. facebook, myspace, msn etc and consitantly scans the webpages you are accessing. its free, you just need to re-register after 2 years and is the most recomended by IT prof for freesoftware.
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Also i use firefox instead of IE and seems to have stronger protection.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Has anyone tried Shield Delux as I have had no problems since using it.
Cheers keith :D :D

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

i use firefox and avg,also my internet connection comes through a mobile phone acting as a modem linked to my laptop (for those interested its the 3 network,and a fiver a month for unlimited access to tinternet) and so far have had no problems with "hijackers",but rest assured i will let yo guys know if i do.

Andy1i