Casting Advice

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

diceman

Casting Advice

Post by diceman »

Hi I'm new to the forum and new to Sea fishing. Went out at the weekend with a mate and my cast is terrible- really inconsistent, often fairly wild (sorry if your the guy whos line I kept crossing) and rarely of enough distance to trouble the fish. Does anybody have any advice on how to cast straight and get a bit of distance? When to release, how to place your hands etc? I'm a complete novice so any advice would be helpful. Cheers

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Well, it's mostly about practice, but distance of a cast depends on two things: speed at which you launch the lead (fairly obviously) and, less obviously, angle of cast. Optimum angle is 45 degrees. So try aiming highish and the lead should go further. Sounds to me like your having trouble releasing the line at the right point. Practice and perhaps some tuition will iron that out. -Nigel

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

usually you wont need to cast miles to get to the fish. most newbies(myself included) are obsessed with casting distances but a lot of the time theres no need.
best thing to do is go to a large field with your rod and reel and just practice. you wont be getting on peoples nerves by crossing other lines and youll be surprised how much more confident youll get because of it.

one other small bit of advice, make a small hole in a tennis ball and pop your lead into it and wrap the ball in gaffer tape. this will stop the lead sticking into the ground and make things much easier. also, use a lead an ounce lighter than the one you plan to use in the water cos the tennis ball has about that much weigth in it.
best of luck,
denis.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Where are you mate? Some of us may be able to help but need to know where.

sm00thh0und
Occasional
Occasional

Post by sm00thh0und »

well ive always taken advice from watchen fishing vidoes and stuff like that !!

it all depends what reel ur using multipler or fixed spool wen i first started fishing my dad made me practice 3 or4 nite before we went lol ive always fished with a multipler reel my recent reel is okuma magnetix
ur best bet is to practice go to an open feild have a chuck around use a old coke can or bottle for a marker and cast towards it and keep trying ur get there.

wyldkat81

Post by wyldkat81 »

hey mate, it's not the perfect example but try typing in 'sea fishing casting' or similar into youtube, there are loads of vids on there.

mulletman
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletman »

i am not the biggest caster in the world by far, and agree with posts so far that like anything, practice practice, thats all i have done. Also, watching videos etc is really helpful too as suggested. I learnt the 'off the ground' cast by watching a fishing programme on tv and this helped me gain considerable more distance, especially if using a longer 2 or 3 hook rig etc, dont if others have found this to be beneficial.

diceman

Post by diceman »

Wow cheers for all the advice, great responses. I guess I'll check out you tube-hadn't thought of that! and other than that just have to practice-never mind eh it's a good excuse to buy some spinners! Thanks again really good advice and really quick what a friendly forum! If you were down hopes nose last Saturday and a frustrated guy kept casting over you sorry (again) I'll get better I promise