landing a fish off rocks?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

bigfish

landing a fish off rocks?

Post by bigfish »

should i be lucky enough to,what is the best way to land a sizable fish should i hook in to one when fishing off rocks where a drop net is not an option?

glenthespinner

Post by glenthespinner »

JUMP IN =))

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

Big fish wrote.
[should i be lucky enough to,what is the best way to land a sizable fish should i hook in to one when fishing off rocks where a drop net is not an option?]
If you cant use a drop net or climb down safely, then the only option will be to use line of an heavier breaking strain and winch the fish out.
Take gloves with you because if its a good un, it will put too much stress on the rod to winch it up.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, at Bempton cliffs which are 400ft high they usually fish in pairs, one reason for this is if they catch anything it takes 2 to get it up the cliffs. What they do is use a pole around 20ft long with a pulley wheel on the end, the pole is fixed to the ground and when a fish is caught the line is put over the wheel and the second person handballs the fish up while the catcher reels in the slack line. I made one for the cliffs at Filey, but i made mine from a telescopic rod and just put a V shape piece in the end for the line to go in. (stainless steel) Hope this is some help. Cheers...Mick

illustriousgreen

Just heave the fish up

Post by illustriousgreen »

I fish off the side of an aircraft carrier and dont have a drop net, if i have anything that my rod and reel arent strong enough to pull in comfortably then i put the rod down and just heave in hand over hand nice and steadily, unfortunatly i have lost a few fish this way.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Well you can't beat thet for a steady platform and the room you have without other folk crossing your lines is fantastic.
Cheers keith :D :D

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Illustrious, your doing it the hard way, if you catch a big fish ask a mate to hold the rod for you, then smartly nip downstairs as far as you can go, look for a big round plug, take out the aforementioned plug and wait until the deck is a few feet above sea level before putting plug back. Swim smartly back upstairs while saluting the capt who is still going down, and reel said fishy in with minimal effort. >:D< >:D< >:D<
Last edited by manic_muppet on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

Post by hooklineandsinker »

manic_muppet wrote:Illustious, your doing it the hard way, if you catch a big fish ask a mate to hold the rod for you, then smartly nip downstairs as far as you can go, look for a big round plug, take out the aforementioned plug and wait until the deck is a few feet above sea level before putting plug back. Swim smartly back upstairs while saluting the capt who is still going down, and reel said fishy in with minimal effort. >:D< >:D< >:D<
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Going to make a note to NEVER go on a fishing boat with you. ;)