Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

keeping rods and reels in good condition

Post by gallagher08 »

hi all

i was wondering if there was any thing you could do to make your rods and reels last longer because my old ones have past thier day now so im looking to buy some new ones and i wanted to see if you could make thhem last

cheers josh

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

A good wash in warm soapy water every time you use them and dry them off and give them a drop of lubricant every so often.
Common sense really
Cheers keith :D

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 »

cheers keith will do in future

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

If you can find one, get a little brush like the ones used for cleaning lecky razors etc, they are great for getting sand out of the little nooks n crannys, you could also use an old toothbrush, they are great for a quick cleaning job if your reel gets dropped on the sand, or your rod is blown dragged over on the beach. Cheers...Mick

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

after every trip out i wash my reels off with a sponge full of washing up liquid and the rinse them under the cold tap then leave the to dry as for myrods i give them a wipe over with a dry towel before i put them back in their bags

Dave :D

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue »

which reminds me .. i have to do mine! lol naughty sue!! they are filthy grrr,

Sue

folky
Occasional
Occasional

Post by folky »

warm soapy water is not always a good thing, you endup washing all the grease and oils out of the reels.
most manufactuars suggest running you reels under a warm tap, dont submerge them, maybe use an old toothbrush to remove any dried up weed and muck from around the spool.
as for rods a damp clean cloth will do just fine.

jamie1978

Post by jamie1978 »

when i get back from from a session my stuff goes into the shower and gets a thorough rinse down i also do my umbrella if it's been used any waterproof clothing i've worn and i rinse the zips and clips on my quiver and rig wallet. My tripod is given a rinse down then oiled and every thing is put away ready for the next session. I probably go over the top but i've been out of work for a while and can't afford to rplace anything so i have to look after it plus putting it all in the shower makes it a lot quicker and easier.