Piers, and Breakwaters.

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Piers, and Breakwaters.

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, I was doing a bit of reading a few weeks ago, (yes im ok now) and I found out a fact I had not known before, I always classed any walkway which goes into the sea as a pier. And still do, its a hard habit to break now, but I'm wrong, it seems a Pier is a construction on legs allowing the sea to pass underneath, such as Brighton, Saltburn, Whitby etc, while a Breakwater is a solid construction of rock, concrete etc which acts as a barrier between the open sea and a harbour etc, So when I say I'm fishing the Pier at Scabby or Brid I am in fact fishing the breakwater. :D but like i say old habits die hard, I still say Pier. ;) Ok this wont win you a pint in a pub, but its nice to know. Cheers...Mick

folky
Occasional
Occasional

Post by folky »

Folkestone has a breakwater.. i think its a breakwater anyways, i do remember being told once that thay had some divers down the wall and it sits on the steel cilinders full of concrete, and the water passes under it, but you never see it, all you see is solid granite walls like the ones in dover.
anyway all us locals call it a pier and even the history books call it the railway pier or train pier.
so to be honest i dont know if its a pier or a breakwater. :-/

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

How interesting,im from the old school too,we have a pier a breakwater x2 and a jetty in the most easterly town lol but i think the jetty might be a breakwater. Andy1i

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody »

Hi all, ok let me get this straight - a pier is on legs and allows water underneath it.
a breakwater is a solid wall stopping the sea.

What is the jetty? is that the floating platform things you see in harbours or is that something completly differnet.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i »

Lord knows lol

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

A JETTY is a structure on legs the water passes under and boats can moore up to

A PIER is a structure that is built on legs that the water passes under and people can walk on

A BREAKWATER is a solid structure that blocks the direction of the flow of water

hope this makes things a bit clearer, shame no-one told the councils around the country as they all class harbour walls as piers

Dave :D