Penn 525 anti reverse.

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Alan1412

Penn 525 anti reverse.

Post by Alan1412 »

While reeling in last Sunday, on couple occasions if let go handle the reel would let line out again , handle unwinding out. Not locking onto spindle cog it seemed. If you see what I mean. Striped reel see no obvious problems . Any advice on this one please.

findus
Occasional
Occasional

Re: Penn 525 anti reverse.

Post by findus »

Alan1412 wrote:While reeling in last Sunday, on couple occasions if let go handle the reel would let line out again , handle unwinding out. Not locking onto spindle cog it seemed. If you see what I mean. Striped reel see no obvious problems . Any advice on this one please.
have you recently greased the reel it could be that their is to much grease that is stopping it from engaging

rca

Post by rca »

hi mate
if the last reply wasn't the reason give rabbi2 a SHOUT he could put you on the right path .

Ron

Alan1412

Post by Alan1412 »

Cheers chaps . Yes I did recently grease it . Reckon that's what if could be. No sign of anything else being wrong.
Will let you know.
Thanks very much for advice , from both replies.

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Check the anti-reverse bearing which is housed in the sideplate (the one the gearshaft passes through on it's way to the handle). Flush it out and check the bearing and the sleave for wear - if it all seems okay replace with a very light bit of thin grease or oil and try it again. Assuming you've assembled everything correctly, if it still isn't reliable replace it.

If the reel has had heavy use or hasn't been serviced regularly these bearing can often give problems when they are cleaned as there's no crud to take up the free play ..... Penn fixed spools have the same problem with the anti reverse bearings in the roller head, not least because they take a lot of stress.