Bass fishing gear

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

yoxford

Bass fishing gear

Post by yoxford »

I am looking to try spinning next year for bass.
Will my abu 6500 do or is it better to buy a FS?
Also what are the basics of spinning,as I know nothing about it.
What do people consider the best rod lenght for it

thanks

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

spinning!!

Post by bassfly »

Nahhh not spinning mate,buy a fly rod.

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

the 6500 would be a little heavy and awkward i reckon.

i got a 10foot ugly stick lite and a shimano exage 4000 reel a few weeks back for 120euro. they came highly recomended for the price i wanted to pay. pretty sure you could get them a nice bit cheaper in the uk tho.

a few people told me go for a 9 foot and others told me 11foot but i liked the 10foot myself so opted for that.

jimjam
Regular
Regular

Post by jimjam »

im taking up spinning for bass in feburary (birthday money) ive heard its good at the back off the power station in heysham so im going to give that a bash in 2009 :D

james

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I use a 9' 6" light uptider with am FS reel for spinning so I reckon you are about right with a 10 ' rod. The important bit is that you can keep casting over and over without getting knackered. I have never seen anyone using a multi reel for spinning but don't see why you shouldn't if you have mastered it although in general an FS gives a faster retrieve. There are hundreds od lures out there and everyone is supposed to be the dogs doo dahs but just two main types: Those that sink and those that float. I use sinkers where the water is fairly deep and relatively snag free and floaters where the water is shallow and/or is a bit snaggy. I also choose those that look fairly natural but with some shiny bits on them. There is no need to pay the earth but make sure that they move around well in the water. Do remember that there is not much point if the water is relatively cloudy ("coloured" as they say), because the fish are probably not going to see your lure too well. Of course one can also try fly fishing as the man said but you will need to learn the special techniques to do it and if there is a bit of a breeze blowing, it ain't much fun.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I can only speak from experience from my trip in Scotland when I was spinning for Salmon and found that the Flying C was far better than the other lures I was using. The setup consisted of the Fox fs 1000 and a Shakespear Quartzlite Spin 3 meters length with 10 to 50gram casting capeability with 12lb line.

I was reliably informed that this would also be an ideal setup for bass but as of yet have not tried it
Cheers keith

MJB

Post by MJB »

I suppose it's all down to how seriously you want to take the lure fishing. I'd buy the right tool for the job, rather than mess about using uptiders, carp rods and the like. Why? Simple, their blanks were never designed with working lures in mind and they're shite for casting light lures (Add weight to the line and the lures don't work as well). 10ft spinning rods are fine for fishing metal lures and 'chuck & chance' fishing and they have the versatility to do a bit of light legering and float fishing, but if you seriously want to fish plugs and poppers effectively then 8ft or shorter is the way to go. Any longer than this and it becomes very difficult to impart extra action to the lure, which is particularly important when fishing poppers and walk-the-dog lures. Lures will also work in coloured water and the dark. That's because fish will home in on the vibrations which will draw them into visual range.

There's no reason why you couldn't use your 6500. They were originally designed for fishing lures for Salmon after all. There are many good, cheap small multipliers (often called baitcasters) that are perfect for fishing light lures. There's plenty of good fixed spools out there too. It's down to personal preference. Faster is not necessarily better when it comes to retrieves. Whatever type of reel you choose, consider loading it with braid. It will make a big difference as you will feel every twitch and bump the lure makes and the extra breaking strain to diameter means you can bully your lures out of any snags.

For lures then the hardcore lure fishers of the Bass society rave about Storm jointed thundersticks, Rapala J11 or 13, Alie Duel Mag sliders, Chug-Bug poppers. Rubber eels too and metal lures like Dexter Wedges or ABU Krill.

Rgds,

Martin.

p.s. Eccles said of fly fishing- "if there is a bit of a breeze blowing, it ain't much fun".

Force 6, torrential rain at night- 3.5-4lb of pure misery ;) (one of about 30 that night)

AH
Regular
Regular

Post by AH »

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I agree AH, all this wonderful expensive kit doesn't catch anymore fish. Far better to know where and when the fish are about. Used to catch big carp when I was a kid with a cheap glass rod and an even cheaper centre pin reel. I knew where they were unlike the blokes with all the posh stuff LOL.

AH
Regular
Regular

Post by AH »

Us islander's know the score.

kirk

Post by kirk »

All depends on what type of rod you like.
There is an mention in this months SeaAngler about Bass plugging rods. Think they are refering to expensive ones however. Worth a read. But not a great deal of specific information.

I have a Daiwa Wilderness spin rod that I use. It comes in 6 bits, and can be set for 9 or 11 ft. Easy to transport.

Think that a reasonable spinning reel would be best, at least at the start. Say this since you ask what the basics of spinning are, easier to use.

Ultimately it depends on how seriously you expect to delve in to it all.