shockleader - line knots

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

If you need superglue you are using the wrong knot . I have confidence in my knots , if they are going to fall apart they do it when i test them. Any doubt and i re-tie them . All my knots get lubricated with saliva before they are pulled tight , i doubt if superglue would stick to this .

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

eccles wrote:Never heard of using super glue in over 15 years of fishing, neither have my mates. Totally unnecessary in my view if you tie a good knot and I would be a bit doubtful as to what it might do to the line. I also suspect that it would make the knot more bulky and therefore less likely to zip up through the rings smoothly. No disrespect intended but not all tackle shops know what's what in my experience.
The idea is years old and in the 80s building rigs this way with superglue in plastic sleeves instead of crimps was really popular - I've used glued rigs (and still do for certain jobs) and quite frankly they are absolutely fine if they are constructed properly - you can actually buy rig glue specifically marketed for that use and it works just as well with saltwater gear, most problems are caused by not using it properly. The practice came into question when a lot of the new copolymer lines first came onto the market, as some cheaper glues reacted with the line and weakened it but it wasn't by any means a widespread problem.

Glueing knots in the same way as its used on leader knots probably came from the fly fishing world as I'm told by a fly fishing friend of mine that its long been a common way of sealing your backing knot to the fly line. If you use a better quality glue it will do no harm whatsoever to your line and does exactly what its meant to; it protects the knot and helps smooth it out so its less likely to catch the rings on the cast and retreive - it also helps to prevent the build up of weed on the knot.

What glue won't do is make up for a poorly tied or prevent the failure of a damaged knot - they take a lot of stress and strain and you should be checking your leader knot regularly and retying it if you think its been weakened - given that it takes so little effort to tie one at home it is sensible to re-tie them for every session as well, it saves you a hell of a lot of hassle when you get on the beach and the extra practice means soon become fairly competent in tying one when you need to!

Saltwater can get to the glue in time but to be honest if you are using a leader knot that long then you are asking for trouble anyway, the rigs I've always found lasted just as well as any other sort.

The biggest downside with the stuff is that you look pretty stupid when you glue yourself to something .... and no matter how careful you are you always do :D

leontrotsky

Post by leontrotsky »

sniggle wrote:. All my knots get lubricated with saliva before they are pulled tight , i doubt if superglue would stick to this .
I think the general idea is to get rid of your spit from the knot before adding the superglue- as far as i can tell the photo's in the Sea Angler rigs book don't show the knots with a huge blob of hockle on it while applying the glue

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

leontrotsky wrote:
sniggle wrote:. All my knots get lubricated with saliva before they are pulled tight , i doubt if superglue would stick to this .
I think the general idea is to get rid of your spit from the knot before adding the superglue- as far as i can tell the photo's in the Sea Angler rigs book don't show the knots with a huge blob of hockle on it while applying the glue

:(( :(( :((

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Fair enough but I don't think I will bother - my knots don't come apart.

leontrotsky

Post by leontrotsky »

eccles wrote:Fair enough but I don't think I will bother - my knots don't come apart.
Nor do mine so there.

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Granny knot on the main leader then attaching the mainline with a grinner / Uni knot is the most common and effective in my personal view.
cheers
mrix

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

redmouse wrote:try putting a little dab of super glue onto the knot when its tied. a guy in a fishing shop told me this. he reckons it almost doubles the strength of the knot. got that piece of advise for my new multi that i havent used yet so cant say if it works or "knot" lol, couldnt resist.
If it works for you go for it - its not really neccesary but anything that helps with confidence is generally worth doing and it wont do any harm.

It probably won't make a difference to the outcome if you get a birdie mid-cast or if you do something retarded like trying to cast with the bail arm still engaged on a fixed spool but then nothing will.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

mudlark wrote: It probably won't make a difference to the outcome if you get a birdie mid-cast or if you do something retarded like trying to cast with the bail arm still engaged on a fixed spool but then nothing will.
My mate is a retard he forgets to open the bale arm or gets line trapped underneah the spool about once a month on average. :D :D :D

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 »

eccles wrote:
mudlark wrote: It probably won't make a differencie to the outcome if you get a birdie mid-cast or if you do something retarded like trying to cast with the bail arm still engaged on a fixed spool but then nothing will.
My mate is a retard he forgets to open the bale arm or gets line trapped underneah the spool about once a month on average. :D :D :D
i do that every week lol ;) ;) :D

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

My mate is a retard he forgets to open the bale arm or gets line trapped underneah the spool about once a month on average
i got a new reel a few weeks ago, a shakespeare sea salt something or other. i find that if its a little bit windy that the line gets stuck under the spool. not too bad if its wrapped around once but more than that i have to take off the spool. very annoying. i dont think its anything im doing wrong(but it could be) as its never happened on my 2 other reels.

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

[quote="redmouse"][quote]My mate is a retard he forgets to open the bale arm or gets line trapped underneah the spool about once a month on average[/quote]

i got a new reel a few weeks ago, a shakespeare sea salt something or other. i find that if its a little bit windy that the line gets stuck under the spool. not too bad if its wrapped around once but more than that i have to take off the spool. very annoying. i dont think its anything im doing wrong(but it could be) as its never happened on my 2 other reels.[/quote]

If its happening after you`ve cast try lifting the rod tip to keep the line tight as you click the bail arm over. If its while you are baiting up keep the rod in the rest with the weight dangling to keep the line tight , check you haven`t over filled it .

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

redmouse wrote:
i got a new reel a few weeks ago, a shakespeare sea salt something or other. i find that if its a little bit windy that the line gets stuck under the spool. not too bad if its wrapped around once but more than that i have to take off the spool. very annoying. i dont think its anything im doing wrong(but it could be) as its never happened on my 2 other reels.

There are actually quite a number of reels out there with what in my opinion is a design fault and some of them are quite expensive. The fault is that the spool "skirts" are too shallow or have no significant metal at all below the actual line holding section. This means that it is all too easy, especially at night when one doesn't notice in the dark, for one or two turns of line to slip and get trapped under the spool. Some of the Shakespeare's seem to have this fault and so do some of the Penns. My Okumas are OK but then I did look at them carefully when I bought them. I don't think the reel designers talk to enough real anglers who are out there every week in all weathers.

h4ppy-chris

Post by h4ppy-chris »

heres my 2p worth

A. is the ALBRIGHT KNOT
B. is the Granny on the shock then the UNI-KNOT
C. is the shock leader end heated with a lighter to form a little blob
which is neater than a Granny knot then a UNI-KNOT ;)

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

redmouse wrote:
My mate is a retard he forgets to open the bale arm or gets line trapped underneah the spool about once a month on average
A very common cause of this is (as eccles points out) that the skirt of the spool is not deep enough - when you start to reel after the cast and the bale arm clicks over if the spool is forward to its furtherest extent the line slips behind the spool. The annoying thing is that this is such a simple fault to diagnose and cure at the design stage it should never happen these days.

There is a very easy work around though. When you prepare to cast make sure that the spool has oscillated BACK as far as will go towards the main body of the reel - that way when you have finished the cast and snap the bale arm back into the gear there is plenty of skirt to catch the line.

I think someone else mentioned lifting the rod back as you snap the bale arm over and start to reel and thats excellent advice as anyone who spins with a fixed spool will tell you! You should be doing that and keeping your line tight to the spool all the time anyway. FS reels are prone to sending the line "springy" due to line twist (its the nature of the beast) and this might also be part of your problem as it causes the line to coil off the spool the moment you give it any slack - make sure your line roller in the bale arm is well lubricated and this will help reduce line twist problems and change your line regularly.