Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

andiroo
Occasional
Occasional

shockleader - line knots

Post by andiroo »

Hi all

Got fed up of losing weights and traces so went out and picked up some 60lb shockleader today.

Have looked at the knots section to the right and was wondering which of them is the most effective knot for joining the two lines?Is it just personal preference?

Cheers for any responses

Andi

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I have been using the Allbright for a while now. Quite a low profile and not had it fail yet - one of my knots has done at least 30 sessions.

h4ppy-chris

Post by h4ppy-chris »

deffo the Allbright knot easy to tye aswell ;)

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

The leader knot in Sea fishing knots on the left is simple and good .Just ignore the `plastic coated wire' bit and think shockleader.

dazzaman

Post by dazzaman »

Hi mate
try here http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/knot5.html

I used to use the one on the forum knot page but encountered it slipping on occasions :(( :((

Hope you find the link useful :D
Regards Darren B-) B-) B-)

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

[quote="dazzaman"]Hi mate

I used to use the one on the forum knot page but encountered it slipping on occasions :(( :((

Regards Darren B-) B-) B-)[/quote]

Looks like the same knot to me , the first turns he puts round the leader pull out as he tightens the knot.

dazzaman

Post by dazzaman »

sniggle wrote:
dazzaman wrote:Hi mate

Regards Darren B-) B-) B-)
Looks like the same knot to me , the first turns he puts round the leader pull out as he tightens the knot.
Sorry sniggle,if you look at the link you will see the main line is wrapped around the leader 4 or so times,then looped back on itself,then wrapped again 4 or so times.Therefore the "knot"grips on all the mainline reducing the risk of slipping!
Cheers Darren B-) B-) B-)

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Have a good look at pictures 8 and 9 .

andiroo
Occasional
Occasional

Post by andiroo »

Cheers guys

Dazza gone for your advice wish me luck!!

Andi

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

I use the allbright which I found using this site

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

try putting a little dab of super glue onto the knot when its tied. a guy in a fishing shop told me this. he reckons it almost doubles the strength of the knot. got that piece of advise for my new multi that i havent used yet so cant say if it works or "knot" lol, couldnt resist.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Superglue can affect quite a lot of plasics, don't know about line, but one thing for certain superglue and salt water dont mix, might be ok for fresh water fisherpersons and the tackle dealer may be right but I have never had to use it. Chers keith :D :D

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

he said if the knot is properly done itll be ok but the 1st few times to use the glue.
i said it to a guy in work who does competition fishing at a fairly high level and he said hed never heard of it and didnt think there was any need. thats why i brought my reel and line to him and got him to do the knot.

next up is to try and use the reel to see how i get on.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Never heard of using super glue in over 15 years of fishing, neither have my mates. Totally unnecessary in my view if you tie a good knot and I would be a bit doubtful as to what it might do to the line. I also suspect that it would make the knot more bulky and therefore less likely to zip up through the rings smoothly. No disrespect intended but not all tackle shops know what's what in my experience.

leontrotsky

Post by leontrotsky »

Loads of people add a dab of superglue to their knots-it's not a new idea- I dont personally use it but top matchman Alan yates advocates adding a dab of glue to knots on their rigs in the book Sea Anglers guide to bait and rigs.