Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

night-fisher
Occasional
Occasional

How to remove hook from your hand

Post by night-fisher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi guys

I thought some of you might find these links beneficial; they deal with a quick and easy method of removing fish hooks from your person if you are ever unlucky enough to hook yourself.

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/general/hookout.htm

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... hing-line/

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010601/2231.html

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:44 pm

Very useful nightfisher.

Perhaps this should be a sticky.

night-fisher
Occasional
Occasional

Post by night-fisher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Perhaps it should, what do you think mrix.

It is a real danger we all face every time we go fishing and while at home making up our rigs and i think people should be aware of how to deal with the situation quickly and easily.

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 pm

This is definatly a help, I got caught up in three of five hooks off my mackerel trace. I just cut them out and have scars to prove it. So thanks Night Fisher for posting this

mld

Post by mld » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Reminds me of when I caught a lure I had dropped, with two trebles. Yup, one in my right thumb, the other in my left index finger. Miles from anywhere.
Took me about 30 minutes to get them out. My thumb was ok, but the finger swelled up twice the size. Didn't catch any Bass either!

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Made sticky ;)
cheers
mrix

night-fisher
Occasional
Occasional

Post by night-fisher » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Cheers mrix :D :D

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:56 pm

hi
wish i knew about this lol lol.. looks too easy though ! mine was well in past the barb and was a 2.0 Aberdeen not a wee treble!
go to youtube and punch in ...

fishing accident ha ha

and you can see my hook in my finger i was just getting it frozen on that clip but it took a tray of 8 instruments plyers ect and a small saw !! to get it out they actually were on the phone to the fire brigade as they were having no joy in cutting it!

thankfully to save my embarrassments haha it snapped n out it came what a day that was

and...
i went on to get out in time for high tide and caught i think it was 15 pouting !

now when tying my hooks on i use a pair of scissors to take the strain NOT my teeth! mind you i am pleased it went in my finger NOT my mouth eh,

Sue

night-fisher
Occasional
Occasional

Post by night-fisher » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi Sue

That looked nasty :-O

So many times i have slipped whilst tying my hook to the line or tying the snood to the rig body and thought damn that was close #:-S but we all do it and we never learn until its too late.

The thing that made me cringe in the video was the injection between the fingers , i never want that.

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:37 am

aye that was blinking sore! the injections were by far worse than the removal of the damned hook!! :( as you hear in the clip ! hahaha..
*note to self.. do NOT do that again Susan! *

Sue

ejay

Post by ejay » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:53 pm

cheers for that tried to take it in =] thanks for takin the time =)

wyldkat81

Post by wyldkat81 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Just reading this - OOWWWWYYY!!!!
Being the ever un-confident, clumsy oaf that I am, I've taken the trouble to buy some simple, cheap erasers (or even the cork out of wine bottles etc) and cut them up into tiny bits. This onto the end of a hook saves a lot of unwanted pain and blood!!!

This said of course - I had a near miss the other day when showing my 9 year old how to make some traces....had hook in my mouth (unguarded) and sat down...the tip of the hook just clipped my lip - luckily it didn't peirce but it bled loads for about 20 minutes!!! #:-S

dappers

Post by dappers » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Having taken my 10 year old daughter fishing for the first time, I scolded her for playing with the trebles on my spinners, SLAMMED the box shut ONLY to be impailed with one of the trebles that I had warned her about. BOY was she amused!!!! I wasn't (xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xx xx).
After 15 minutes trying to get it out I went down to the local doctors where a nurse said she had seen a new way to take it out as described at the top of the page.
So they strapped me to the table, tied the line round the hook and YANKED. MY GOD THE PAIN !!!!!! was nothing.
Brilliant

madabout

Post by madabout » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:18 pm

I recently got a mackerel feather hook stuck in my finger, and had to go to hospital it was hooked on the bone. Injections was the worst bit, still feels bruised now!
And the worst bit about all this is that I was not fishing at the time but cleaning up!!!

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:22 pm

unlucky m8 but welcome to the forum and hope your alright

gary