Cooking limpets

Please add any Sea Food recipes you may have here.
BillBodger

Cooking limpets

Post by BillBodger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi guys!

Has anyone tried eating limpets and if so how did they cook them. I really fancy giving them a try. I have seen two methods but neither way is practical with just a couple of limpets for trial. Method 1, cook them quickly on a hot stone using straw on top to make a very hot fire (Ray Mears stylee) Method 2 is put them in a chowder. Anyone any ideas to cook a trial size bite. I've heared they are rubbery but taste ok. I tried periwinkles recently for the first time in nearly 40 years and I was pleasantly suprised. I'm hoping limpets will be equally good.

Bill B-)

joliroger

Post by joliroger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:28 pm

If you eat Limpets.....................................well, you will end up looking like your Avatar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:27 pm

actually limpets are better than mussels as they are grazers rather than filter feeders,ray mears is best i reckon,after cooking pop off the black sack at the top,our caveman ancestors loved them.

sorry joli mate

Andy1i

Andymoods
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Andymoods » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:22 am

I have tried them once and wasnt keen they were a bit on the rubbery side but if someone had told me that I would probably eat tham any way. You could probably simmer them for a couple of minutes in any edible liquid water stoch wine then seaon with salt pepper knob of butter a few herbs.
Andy