cooking sole

Please add any Sea Food recipes you may have here.
gazza12

cooking sole

Post by gazza12 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:54 pm

can anyone tell me the best way to fillet and cook sole i have never cooked a flat fish before always given them away ,but, now i want to try some
cheers

kingfisher14
Regular
Regular

Post by kingfisher14 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi mate when I caught my sole I didn't bother filleting it I just rapped it whole in tin-foil then put it in the oven for 15-20mins, I do the same for dabs aswell, as when the fish is cooked the meat comes off the bone very easy.
Cheers
Elliot :D

TonyDeal

Post by TonyDeal » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:05 am

If you go on to youtube there are some excellent vids about preping fish.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:18 am

Most people don't fillet sole (including me). Lovely eating fish and I just brush on a bit of oil and grill them for a few minutes each side.

LeeFull

Post by LeeFull » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi,

I`m a chef, what i do is make a small slit from the back tail and literally peel off the skin in 1 sheet, i then cook under a grill in butter, also works great with garlic and herb butter! they don`t take long and are very very tasty.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:08 am

or you can run your fillet knife round the top of the head under the skin and pull skin away in one,then cut behind head through back bone then pull away then bottom skin from flesh then just trim up and grill,or if a big one fillet.Andy1i

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:14 am

take a look at this site. www.filleting-fish.com

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:40 am

I also do not fillet sole and dabs, just too fiddly and you can loose some good flesh. Just brush with oil and grill quickly or paint with egg and bread crumbs before grilling. For some strange reason many folk do not eat fish skin although there is nothing wrong with it and with some species such as whiting, it is actually very tasty.
Note: One of the delights of my life is pork crackling and that of course is pig skin.

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Would tend to agree with Eccles about not filleting fish before cooking,I also eat the skin but appreciate that not everyone does so.Bake most of mine in foil in the oven after brushing fish with a little olive oil,lemon/lime juice and some herbs if you like them.Favourite fish is lemon sole,also enjoy sea bass/bream and occasionaly some of the more unusual round fish that appear on the fish counters these days.If we have guests I have to take off the heads for some people as they dont seem to like their meal staring at them from the plate!!!!!

Bayrunner

Post by Bayrunner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:24 am

I always keep my sole in the fridge for a couple of days - makes the flavour much more distinguished. Plaice on the other hand are better fresh.

Another vote for baking them whole on the bone... Mouth watering at the thought!

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi there Bayrunner-how do you rate Lemon compared to Dover sole? I find lemon sole is sweeter and of course there is the price difference. I occasionally freeze some as you have to grab it when it is the shops round here,do you find this has an effect on the flavour when thawed and cooked? We also eat dabs but they are normally only small ones in our shops-nice and sweet though.