Which fish should you NOT eat??

Please add any Sea Food recipes you may have here.
phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 pm

ive eaten conger.
gut it, clean it, cut it into 1"" steaks (a bit like Salmon steaks) and grill/bbq for a few minutes either side until soft.

swanseajack22

Post by swanseajack22 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:12 am

My mate caught a 3lb+ trigger fish off mumbles pier. Gutted it there and then, wrapped it in foil, and slapped it on the bbq that we took with us. After 25 minutes the skin just peals off. A very meaty texture and very few bones, but not a huge amount of flavour either. Still, it wasn't unpleasant and I can now tick another one off the "eaten" list.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:56 am

Just to clarify, Weever fish are edible, but its the greater weever not the lesser weever. The greater weever is found in deep water, and is less poisonous than its cousin the lesser weever. they also grow much bigger and can be found in fishmongers here too. Cheers.Mick

mbmailler

Post by mbmailler » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:10 am

i got a piece of skate from barnicals and it reeked and tasted of nothing but amonia cant say it was plesant wouldnt mind so much but it cost a small fortune

chriss

Post by chriss » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:31 pm

hi, i recently caught a 2 pound pout of the beach at southbourne. took it home, fried in butter and garlic. was really pleasant

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:01 am

wow a 2lb pout!!! thats almost a record?

Andy1i

steveseagull
Occasional
Occasional

Post by steveseagull » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:20 pm

I wouldnt go near the trout you can reel in on Brighton pier, but if you want to catch one, the best location is behind the karaoke bar near the top.
My mate hooked one which was at least 120lb!
Photos to follow.

(sorry mods, is this ok?)

joliroger

Post by joliroger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:27 pm

Yes but can you eat them ?????????

mbmailler

Post by mbmailler » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:16 am

yeah but have a strong fishy flavour :-&

MrBeer

Post by MrBeer » Wed May 12, 2010 8:54 pm

I eat Flounders I catch out the Thames, they taste lovely! Bit of flour, pan fried with a squeeze of lemon.

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman » Wed May 12, 2010 9:53 pm

apparently scorpion fish are eddible, just a nightmare to repare and a lot of waste, similar in respect to monk fish........they are venomous, but not poisonous

Andymoods
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Andymoods » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:06 am

mbmailler wrote:i got a piece of skate from barnicals and it reeked and tasted of nothing but amonia cant say it was plesant wouldnt mind so much but it cost a small fortune
It was once said that poeple inland will eat skate better than the poeple who eat skate fresh from the sea. This is becuase cartilaginous fish i.e. skate rays and sharks- have a diferent gill structure to other fish, so instead they maintain a supply of urea within their bloodstream . the urea is rich in other minerals, which prevent the fish losing their bodily fluids to saline water by osmosis. when they die the urea starts to break down and is released as ammonia. basicly the dead fish purges it self. after 2 or 3 days the process is complete and the fish is ready for the pan. This is why you should nt eat fresh skates.
I have got this information FISH BOOK by river cottage it is an excellent read tells you about every thing you can eat from sea and fresh water in this country and gives good advice on size limits and endangered species.
And some bloody good recipes.

Andy

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:27 am

I thought that there had been a big clean up of our waters Andy. Before the cleanup raw sewage was pumped into the sea all around our coasts so there were plenty of nasties floating around and fish were abundant and folk still ate them. Mind you there was the Black Death but I think that was Rats and originated down South lol :D :D

Cheers
keith :D :D

Andymoods
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Andymoods » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:04 am

Rabbi2 dont if I have misunderstood you but the urine taste of skate has nothing to do with water quality it is just how they deal with salt water that makes them produce urea in there blood stream.
Thanks
Andy

joliroger

Post by joliroger » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:06 am

UREA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were always so careful :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O