mussels

Please add any Sea Food recipes you may have here.
king_nothing

mussels

Post by king_nothing » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 pm

how do you prepare and cook mussles????? :-O >:)

yoxford

Post by yoxford » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:04 am

I usually start by looking on the back of the packaging :D :D :D

dazzaman

Post by dazzaman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:13 am

Hi king nothing
Start by pulling the stringy bit off each one,then tap them to make sure they close up,discard any that don`t as they are dead!
I like to chop a little garlic and onion,place in a deep pan with about a glass of white wine and 1/2 cup of water,season with salt and pepper(sea salt and freshly ground black pepper is my preference)
Bring to the boil,this wil cook the onion and garlic,while the liquid is boiling add the prepared mussels,cover the pan with a lid,after about 2-3 mins remove the lid and turn the heat off,add some freshley chopped parsley
The mussels will now be open and not overcooked,remove from the pan into a serving dish,any unopened ones discard as they will be dead and if eaten will cause stomach upset!!!!!!
Pour some of the liquer over the mussels,then enjoy,mopping up the juice with some fresh crusty bread :D :D :D

Hope this helps,Darren B-) B-) B-)

welshsteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by welshsteve » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:09 pm

I think I would rather eat the fish than the bait :D :D

Geggy_poos
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Geggy_poos » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:15 pm

they are best in france! :D :D lol!

greg

SAXONLION

Adding to Dazzamans Mussels

Post by SAXONLION » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Never pick Wild mussels with a "R" in the month ..
They will make you ill..It to do with the cycle of toxins in the mussels digestive system..(if you do you will be VERY ill..i was off sick for 10 days through this, and was violently vomiting everyday.)...

Using Dazzamans recipe....
(if you dont scrape the barnacles off it taints the flavour also make sure you sieve the stock to make sure there are no bit of broken shell and sand in, theres nothing worse than grinding sand with your food)..lol
If you reduce the stock and add double cream, and reduce it a bit further..add the mussels back into it give it another minute to warm up..and hey presto...classic french Moules Mariniere!
This classic sauce can be used with Any fish, and experiment with maybe some fresh Basil, Tarragon or Dill.
(also looks good on a plate if you serve them on a bed of poached Samphire Grass but make sure you dont add salt)...yum..