Eating flounders

Please add any Sea Food recipes you may have here.
dave69

Eating flounders

Post by dave69 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:31 pm

Past and present experiences is that these fish dont taste nice,ive tried various ways of cooking them,but result always the same,soily:(( .

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:02 pm

hello dave , i dont eat any fish myself but friends ive fished with have always put flounders back so cant say ive tasted them .
Gary

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:22 pm

My mate tried one last year against my advice and decided "yuk". Don't think he will do it again. Mind you some folk will eat any old rubbish, I even know a bloke who eats the occasional pout which is even more yuk.

dave69

fish

Post by dave69 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:41 pm

Not just me then they do taste like kak,i just see so many peolpe keep them,in future ill say thankyou for the sport but your going back to eat some more soil.

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:32 am

I have never eaten a flounder caught this time of year but the winter ones are good , skinned fillets smothered in a mixture of mayonaise and mustard powder (heavy on the mustard as it cooks out) and baked on a tray.
Nowt wrong with pout but you have to keep `em right.,gutted and cooled asap . Most fish will `go off 'and taste muddy if left in a bag in the sun for any length of time, a cool box and ice packs make all the difference , gotta be better than a mc donalds.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:16 am

Can't agree with sniggle, if you have to smother a fish in seasoning to make it taste anywhere near acceptable then it can't be much cop in my opinion.

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:31 am

[quote="eccles"]Can't agree with sniggle, if you have to smother a fish in seasoning to make it taste anywhere near acceptable then it can't be much cop in my opinion.[/quote]
Salt and vinegar on your fish and chips sir ? :D

dave69

fish

Post by dave69 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Caught a brill today,it was actually quite sweet like bass,unlike the kaks,.so sorry for the peolpe who like them,but from now on there called kak,s.

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Well done with the brill , what size was it ? Anyway i`m not suprised that you prefer brill to flounder as i rate brill the same as turbot. Much better than bass and most other uk fish .

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:45 am

even my socks would taste nice smothered in mayo and mustard

sorry mate

i dont eat fish just pass them on to the missus
she eats them
maybe i should give her some

sock al a mustard for tea tonite >:) >:) >:) >:) >:) >:)

cheers all

see ya on the 27th dave
you bringing your son ? think dazza mentioned it all the merrier

cheers steve

dave69

brill

Post by dave69 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:07 am

Brill only about 8" long perhaps 12oz or so,but very tasty thanks.Just me on my own on 27th,as im taking my lad out of school friday,as there not doing anything,high school for him in sept.

kieran
Regular
Regular

Post by kieran » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:22 am

the flounder you caught? did you catch it in an estuary? or very close in?

if you go out on a boat and get a flounder id reccomend keeping them they taste great! :D

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:00 am

flounders,fillet them,then soak them in a mixture of cold tap water (or still spring water if your that posh) and white vinegar about an 80/20 mix for a few hours this gets rid of the muddyness (we used to do this with river fish) then dry off lightly season dredge in plain flour and shallow fry.yum

but then i have no taste buds from years of curry abuse :D

andy

swainston-no1

any fish any time

Post by swainston-no1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:00 am

i have to say i have eaten flatty's and jumbo pout there great if you have,the ingrediants,i cant give you my recipy but i can tell you gut pout asap where ever you are,then filet it put in micro wave for a min to 2 mins,take fork through the fillet to remove bones then make in to fish cakes beautiful hummmmmmmm ;)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:43 am

If you fillet flounder and let them soak overnight in the fridge then this is supposed to get rid of the nasty soily taste, not for me Im afraid. keith :( :( :( :(