Casting help

Please feel free to ask any questions related to improving your casting here,Pendulum Casting, Off the ground Casting, Competitions Casting.
jono
Occasional
Occasional

Casting help

Post by jono » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi Folks,
Where can I get some help on my casting technique??? It's not awful but my mate seems to bang his out a lot further then mine so would like some assistance!!!
Thanks,
Jono

skilling

Post by skilling » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:53 pm

hi jono what gear do you use. as its important your useing the right gear rod reel line etc

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:09 pm

if your useing fixed or muilty , i got told about a breakaway cannon that can put yards on your cast with a fixed spool ,

jono
Occasional
Occasional

Post by jono » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:10 pm

I have two good daiwa rods and use fixed spool reels, I have daiwa 15lb line with shockleader tapered from 16lb to 65lb. It is more the technique style I need, position of feet, where to start the cast from, where to position hands and what point to release. etc etc

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:02 pm

jono there different styles of casting , most people do otg like eccles but he modified it to his style and he hits well over 100 yards , there are some vids on youtube for the otg and pendulum and not so long ago someone ask the same question , they aint much point me telling you my style as i use multiplier and i got my own technique., have a look on youtube mate.
Gary :D

jono
Occasional
Occasional

Post by jono » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks, I will have a look on you tube. What is this cannon you mentioned??

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:25 pm

its called a breakaway cannon it stops the line slapping your finger when you cast , most that use them say you wont look back.
Gary

jono
Occasional
Occasional

Post by jono » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:40 pm

where you get it from??

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:42 pm

most tackle shops and i have seen them on ebay .

aircooledadams

Post by aircooledadams » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:54 pm

I picked up an old video from a car boot sale before we went beach casting for the first time. "Shore casting techniques presented by Allen Yates". That was pretty useful, being new to shore fishing. Shows how casting techniques have changed over the years.
There's a copy of it on ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHORE-CASTING-TEC ... dZViewItem

Paul

flukeyluke

Post by flukeyluke » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi there,check out the brighton cast,its easy to do and i can put a lead 150yards with this cast on a good day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovdjgQvUGU

dannypanter
Advanced User
Advanced User

casting

Post by dannypanter » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Jono if you are really that concerned about your castiing i would speak to the local tackle dealer as they usually have someone who will be able to help you all be it you may have to pay failing that find a big field and a friend who know's what he is doing and get him to help you. I tought waverider 14 how to use a multiplier the other week and within a day he was adding 50yrds to his casting

danny

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:30 pm

Like the man said I used to average 60/70 yds and my mate used to take the pee. He tried his best to explain that it was the bend and the "flick" that mattered but I could not grasp it. I will say before going further that if I am after bass at night, I just lob the sinker 40 - 50 yds because that's where they usually are and I only "put the power on" when I am doing daytime plaice fishing or need to reach a particular spot. Anyway, see if these pointers help:
1. Height matters, when casting look up in the sky not at the horizon or the sea because your sinker tends to go where you are looking and if it goes up in the sky, about 45 degrees, it will go further.
2. The "off the ground" technique gets the rod bending (compressing) backwards as you swing round towards the sea which is very important, do not try to whip it round hard in the early part of the action, you don't need to.
3. It is only when the rod tip is gaining height and roughly parallel to the waters edge that you need to put some punch into the rod. This is the point at which "the final flick" upwards and out towards the sea is carried out, the "bent" rod then straightens out and literally catapults your sinker skywards if you stop it at a 45 degree high angle in front of you.
4. In order to avoid putting too much force on the sinker with the consequent risk of cut fingers and possible crack off, have a drop of at least 5 feet from your rod tip to the sinker when starting, this also multiplies the acceleration effect on the sinker as it swings out from the rod in the initial stage.
Hope this helps, otherwise, nip over to Hayling sometime and I will show you what I have learned.
I expect an expert will say learn pendulum but I firmly believe that you don't really need to unless you want to do tournament casting and even if you do, John Holden reckons you should learn OTG first.

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:03 pm

someone told me aim up it helps you get it out further it did improve my cast.
hope this helps. josh :P :P :P :P :P :P