Been out casting today

Please feel free to ask any questions related to improving your casting here,Pendulum Casting, Off the ground Casting, Competitions Casting.
eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:01 am

Roger still ain't got it quite right - he is holding his arms much too low on the initial swing and if he did that on our steep sloping beaches, he would be dragging the sinker along the shingle. Have a look at Neil Mackellow's vid instead - much better style: http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/otg.html Actually Roger the Lodger looks a bit like me (arrrrgh) but I would not be wearing those gay boy red shorts!

Bread

Post by Bread » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:27 am

eccles wrote: but I would not be wearing those gay boy red shorts!
you'd be wearing those gay boy blue shorts!

:D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:51 am

Nope, ain't got any shorts, usually wear gay boy bright blue cords but you were close.

Nemesis_SLR
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nemesis_SLR » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:17 pm

anyway its was my first time trying to pendulum! and the puff of smoke was in fact my thumb burning >:) god the delightful pain! actually it was water coming off the reel. thing is that was a 150 yard cast into a force 4 headwind. i measured it cause i am so sad about things like that! :P

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Say what you will about his technique not being right but at the end of the day Mortimore was UKSF champion twice so I reckon he pretty much knows what he's doing despite the shorts- granted his starting point for his OTG technique is different in that his body & left elbow is lower than Mackellow's but the lead should still take off pretty much as soon as the rod starts to move rather than dragging along the shingle. However I was taught the same technique as Mackellow for OTG which nicely leads me onto my point that to be honest Viffer- and i've said it before- it's a much better use of your time and effort to get yourself a casting lesson from an instructor.

You'll get taught the right technique from the beginning and save yourself a load of grief on the beach

concrete

Post by concrete » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:03 pm

stuartdv wrote:Say what you will about his technique not being right but at the end of the day Mortimore was UKSF champion twice so I reckon he pretty much knows what he's doing despite the shorts- granted his starting point for his OTG technique is different in that his body & left elbow is lower than Mackellow's but the lead should still take off pretty much as soon as the rod starts to move rather than dragging along the shingle. However I was taught the same technique as Mackellow for OTG which nicely leads me onto my point that to be honest Viffer- and i've said it before- it's a much better use of your time and effort to get yourself a casting lesson from an instructor.

You'll get taught the right technique from the beginning and save yourself a load of grief on the beach

I've met Roger several times and once had a casting lesson with him in the Channel Islands. I wish my casting was as bad as his :D