Casting Coach

Please feel free to ask any questions related to improving your casting here,Pendulum Casting, Off the ground Casting, Competitions Casting.
PaulS

Casting Coach

Post by PaulS » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:19 pm

Has anyone ever employed the services of a casting coach?

What do they cost?Do they give value for money?

I would like to improve my skills and would also like my son to learn properly rather than inherit my bad habits.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:59 pm

I was very lucky to get a casting lesson from a bloke who does it for free. I offered to pay him for his time but he just loves fishing and refused to take anything- I've no idea how much the SeaAngler coaches cost or how good they are.

However, I have to say it is definitely worth learning to cast properly. I thought I was casting 100yds but when I "blasted" one out on the field Phil measured it at 60 yards. Seriously after less than an hours tuition I was doing Off the Grounds casts up to 150 yds (admittedly on the field) but in addition to the casting I learned loads more just in that time (how to load the reel/places to fish/ technique etc). Maybe I was lucky that we have an excellent tackle shop in Colchester inhabited by blokes who are prepared to help beginners but I reckon many experienced anglers are only too happy to help.

I'd ask at your local tackle shop if anyone local gives lessons or would be prepared to spend an hour or two showing you the ropes- if not give Sea Angler a ring to ask for a list of coaches local to you- I cant think it would be that expensive but someone else might know.

Hope this helps

PaulS

Post by PaulS » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:55 pm

thanks for the response :D

I will ask locally & if unsuccesfull will try Sea Angler. I know my rod leaves a little to be desired but I'm sure with lessons I can get a decent distance out of it.

cheers

concrete

Post by concrete » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:57 pm

What rod are you using?

PaulS

Post by PaulS » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:07 pm

A shakespear Mustang, it's rated 4 - 8oz. I bought it when I first got back into fishing about 18months ago for £5 from Southend Angling Centre.

I also also have a 3- 6oz rated Ron THomson Firefox.

I cast about the same distance with both.

concrete

Post by concrete » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:17 pm

Can't say I'm familiar with either of your rods, but even with the floppiest rod you should be able to learn the basics and cast a reasonable distance. Don't pay too much attention of the casting rating, nearly all of the mass producers grossly overestimate the amount of lead their rods will handle.

daiwa
Advanced User
Advanced User

casting,

Post by daiwa » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:41 pm

there must be someone out there that can point us in the right direction, when it comes to casting, there are a lot of people out there that can cast well,some are on this site,

why can they not help other members out,,,it would only take about an hour,of there time am not asking for a casting coach, just someone to look at mine,and few others casting and see what we are doing wrong or right,

slashley
Regular
Regular

Post by slashley » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi Daiwa, I would be happy to help but I am not in Essex any more. If anyone happens to visit Norfolk then a days fishing would be good and perhaps I could help some with the casting. I am not a coach but was taught by an instructor in the late eighties so I guess I could be doing it all wrong by now. :) Sometimes just a few tips is all that is required to point you in the right direction. My fifteen year old nephew sometimes fishes with me and I am helping him to start pendulum casting. He is very bright and a quick learner . I have high hopes for him winning me some new gear at tournaments this year with a bit of luck. Sure he would relish blasting a weight down a court and winning some prizes. ( for me. :) )

daiwa
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by daiwa » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:29 pm

slashey,this is what i mean, if someone would look at people casting, and say your not doing this right, try and change to this, we would all love the help, and be alot better at casting,as that is what a casting coach does looks at you casting and tells you what to change to make it better,

am sure if somone would watch,us casting, they could pick up, what we are doing right or wrong,,

i would go anywhere,and jump at the chance to get help with my casting, as it could only do me good,,

slashley
Regular
Regular

Post by slashley » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:44 pm

Well daiwa I agree entirely with what you are saying. If you do happen to get up this way, AND, if I managed to teach you anything you didn't already know, then you could go back to Essex and pass your newly found expertise on. Just a thought. :)

daiwa
Advanced User
Advanced User

casting

Post by daiwa » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:48 pm

many thanks for your offer, i may just take you up, on it,, :D

Fantomcodcatcher

Post by Fantomcodcatcher » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:09 pm

Get yourself along to either Anglia Sportcast (Kings Lynn Norfolk) or probably closer for you Kent Sportcast at Sutton Valence & I'm sure you will get all the help you can absorb

You have acknowledged the most important part - you need or want help with your casting - a club is the best place as you can have several people watch & offer advice & are in a safe environment to do so. Can't say how much Kent will cost you but ASC membership is currently £15 for the season

See www.anglia-sportcast.co.uk or www.kentsportcast.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk for further help

daiwa
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by daiwa » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:06 pm

thanks for the info,,i will be taking action,,

rocket

Post by rocket » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:11 pm

After talking to mrix on teamspeak, maybe he might arrange a day for all those who want to improve there casting.

terryE

Post by terryE » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:39 pm

I live in essex i would be more than pleased to help anybody with distance casting 8)