ROD ADVICE

Please feel free to ask any questions related to improving your casting here,Pendulum Casting, Off the ground Casting, Competitions Casting.
mackem374

ROD ADVICE

Post by mackem374 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi,just starting up again after 12 years,use o.h.thump at moment but want to learn otg, picking rod,have sort of decided on either tip tornado.or daiwa supercast,or century g5.I fish in the N.E, on clean/light mixed ground.Which would you suggest is best. I use fixed spool up the butt,would prefer to stay f.s.Can fixed spool be used down the butt? Thanks :D

mogthemackem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mogthemackem » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:57 pm

Hi Mackem

Living in the same neck of the woods (whitburn actually) I have a Century G5 Supersport and it suits me whether it be pier or beach but it will also handle fishing the warry/shelf etc. Mind you I do prefer century's. Unsure about fixed spools being used on the butt but I tried casting like this for the first time on Monday and I notice you can catch your line on you suit a little (obviously it will get better with practice). I used to always use a fixed spool and the way your line runs off might make it catch on you a lot more. I could be talking utter rubbish as someone on might here might tell me but from experience it might be best to get a multiplier if you want to do this sort of casting.

mackem374

Post by mackem374 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:03 am

cheers mog,have a mate who is well known sea angler locally, said tip tornado wud b good,when fished years ago,got put off multipliers coz always blew up . Unless it proves to be a waste of time,want to stay with F.S, i read somewhere that not much difference in distance now with modern fixed spools, compared to multi.Might have chance of tornado for about 75 quid so will take his hand off if its ok! Thanks anyway :D

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:20 pm

when using the fixed spool reel down the butt i have read some where that this can be done but you need to add a very large rod ring between the reel and the first rod ring this helps to keep the line running along the rod and stops it from spilling off the spool so quick and causing it to tangle n loop up before it hits the first ring... just tapeing on a new larger rod ring will be sufficent as is more a line guide and wont have much presure on it from the cast...

Hope this helps?

mackem374

Post by mackem374 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:07 pm

ok magic,thanks for that

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:23 pm

TIP TORNADO is rung for multipliers,unless you order it new and stipulate you want it rung for F/S.And yes you can cast down the butt with F/S and get a good deal further than casting up the butt

mackem374

Post by mackem374 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:44 pm

Hi medlar,you get about a bit, hehehe. Have a mate who MIGHT be able to get me a tornado already rung for f.s,for about 70 quid which seems like a good deal ! borrowed a imax 6 stroke 7 and tried f.s down the butt-struggled to get the hang of it to say the least,but will have to try again when i get decent rod, everyone says its better down,I'm not about to argue with people who know more than me.Havent sea fished for more than 10 years and didnt know much then ! lol. Always willing to learn. Happy to stay f.s tho.Thanks for advice :lol:

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:44 pm

HI MACKEM,we keep meeting mate.firstkly i cant really comment about casting down the butt with FS as i dont use them,but i know it is possible mate.Up or Down the butt mate depends on you mate,whatever you feel happier with,pointless casting if you aint comfortable with it mate

mogthemackem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mogthemackem » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:48 pm

Mackem

If you ever want to have a trip out with a couple of locals then get in touch by all means mate. Not saying we're the best fishermen in the world but will help as much as we can. One tip I learned from Medlar - When putting your rod back in the car, make sure it is fully in before you shut the boot :lol: :lol: :lol:

medlar
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by medlar » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:45 pm

i am really glad you remembered that most important lesson Darren mate LOLOLOLOL