Hi all. Sea Fishing Bournemough area?

Please feel free to introduce yourself here if you want to.
Giles

Hi all. Sea Fishing Bournemough area?

Post by Giles »

Hi all,

I live in Bournemouth and am keen on getting out fishing in the area. I've read several posts regarding fishing in the area but was wondering whether anybody had any tips about where would be good to try this coming weekend? Not particularly bothered about species just want to avoid the beached masses if the weathers good. Any tips regarding bait and tackle would also be very welcome. Thanks in advance for your help,

Giles

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater

Hengistbury Head Groyne Fishing

Post by mrix »

Well if you are new to fishing and you want to fish during the day and want to get away from the masses, during a week day at Hengistbury Head groyne is one of my favourite spots and fishing a spinner / lure or float fishing with Ragworm will catch you Wrasse Garfish and Mackerel or maybe even a Bass. just make sure you get nice weather and the tide on the way up and you will not go to far wrong there.
Cheers
mrix
p.s I know Wrasse are there in numbers but I am not sure if the Garfish or Mackerel have arrived :?: should be there now or very soon. :wink:

Giles

Post by Giles »

Thanks mrix,

Will give it a go this weekend and let you know how I get on,

Giles

Speciman

Post by Speciman »

Hi Giles.

Nice weather sandy beaches and quiet weekend fishing don't really go together in the Bournemouth area. If you are set on weekend daytime fishing and don't wish to travel far I would try Hengistbury Head groyne, one of the groynes at Sandbanks (Poole Harbour entrance) or Bournemouth Pier.

If it was me I'd probably give Bournemouth Pier a shot - you've a chance of catching bass, mackeral and garfish down there plus a plaice if you're lucky! A friend had a nice turbot off there one year. You will have to pay to fish the pier though -- between £3-4 I think.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Speciman.

Giles

Post by Giles »

Thanks for your help folks. Went to Hengistbury head groyne for about an hour on sat afternoon around 6ish. I've only had experience of fixed spool reels before but got a cheap multiplier recently so thought I'd have a go at that. After several almightly birds nests I got a cast away and caught a fair sized wrasse and then just before packing up caught another smaller wrasse. Great fun and an ok start I thought, especially as I actually only successfully cast 3-4 times. Had a couple of hours yesterday so decided to try from the groynes at Highcliffe and blanked fish wise but caught a couple of good sized crabs......not really what I had hoped for when I saw the rod twitching. This forum is really useful and although I didn't have a very successful weekend I'm hooked and can't wait for some more spare time. Gonna aim for a species which I can eat next time.......can you eat wrasse!? Thanks again for your help

mrix

re:

Post by mrix »

Hi Giles, glad you had a good time and managed to catch something, Highcliff Groynes are only ever good when its dark really in my view the odds were you were never going to have much luck during the day, well I havnt :( .
best of luck on your next trip and dont forget to post another report on how you got on :wink:
cheers
mrix

Speciman

Post by Speciman »

Hi Giles

Sounds like you have caught the bug :) Never tried eating wrasse although have heard they taste like sh#t. :P :D

If you're after fish for the table without having to go into the complexity of targetting prized fish I suggest you try feathering for mackeral. Bournemouth pier may produce as may off the rocks at Hurst Shingle Bank or further afield at Chesil (if your prepared to travel further). Flounder may be another edible species you could try for too... saw a sizeable flounder caught near the shoreline at Rockley Park, upper Poole Harbour the other day. Could try ragworm here bunched up a bit on a running ledger.

Please make sure though that all fish taken for the table are at least minimum size. Check http://www.nfsa.org.uk/ntcg/min_sizes_2002.htm for more information.

Giles

Post by Giles »

Thanks for the reply Speciman. Didn't like the look of the wrasse for eating but defintely got the bug! Am heading down to Hengistbury head groyne tonight to give it a go later in the day and into the night. Am going to try and give the other places you mentioned a shot this weekend too. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again

MJB

Post by MJB »

The best description of the eating quality of Wrasse I heard was from an old chap fishing the Stone Pier at Weymouth. He told the tourist who asked the question " They eat 'em on portland, but there again, thems marry their cousins too" :lol:

Giles

Post by Giles »

That's a brilliant response! :lol: As I'm not into marrying my family members I don't think I'll eat the wrasse!